Options

Embarcation into Voice.

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
While Im singularly tied up for most of this year with CCIE R&S completion, after that I would like to do some voice work. I'm not keen on doing the CCIE written for voice because I don't see myself having the time to do the CCIE in voice at all next year.

I understand the CCVP requirements have changed to some extent. What do I need to get started? The other thing is I wonder if I will need to do the CCNA to do the CCVP if I obtain the CCIE in R/S.

I think so.

I might just pick off a couple of CCVP exams just to get a better handle on things but could use some advice on what they are. Mainly I want a better feel for where cisco are with voice and some accreditation along the way would be good.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah you'll need to write the CCNA exam anyways. icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's the updated requirements: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le65/learning_certification_type_home.html

I would start with the 642-436 exam (Cisco Voice over IP) then decide which path you want to go down.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As far as I know, the 642 exams have CCNA as a prerequisite, but I would check with Cisco to see if your CCIE written qualifies as well. My former boss had a talk with someone at Cisco about that, and they let him know that he could, potentially, use the CCIE written exam in lieu of (at the time) the 640-801 exam. Double-check with Cisco, but assume you'd have to spend the $150 to knock out the 640-802 exam before obtaining CCVP status. (Not that doing the CCNA exam would be much skin off your nose, considering your CCIE training so far. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    As far as I know, the 642 exams have CCNA as a prerequisite, but I would check with Cisco to see if your CCIE written qualifies as well. My former boss had a talk with someone at Cisco about that, and they let him know that he could, potentially, use the CCIE written exam in lieu of (at the time) the 640-801 exam. Double-check with Cisco, but assume you'd have to spend the $150 to knock out the 640-802 exam before obtaining CCVP status. (Not that doing the CCNA exam would be much skin off your nose, considering your CCIE training so far. icon_lol.gif )

Thanks guys. I will talk to cisco and see what gives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd suggest starting with the 642-642 QOS exam -- since it can also be very helpful with the QoS topics on the CCIE Lab Exam.

Check the CCVP FAQ for some hardware ideas on the lower end.

If you don't mind spending money (or work's money) then 2811s or 2821s and assorted expensive interfaces would be nice. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    I'd suggest starting with the 642-642 QOS exam -- since it can also be very helpful with the QoS topics on the CCIE Lab Exam.

Check the CCVP FAQ for some hardware ideas on the lower end.

If you don't mind spending money (or work's money) then 2811s or 2821s and assorted expensive interfaces would be nice. :D

Thanks very much Mike.
  • Options
    pullin-gspullin-gs Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I chose to go the CCVP route for voice vs go for another CCIE in Voice.
    I'm 4 tests in now...no regrets at all. Between the test-study and lab work I got a real working level understanding of it. CCIE-Voice is actually not mount everest anymore. Maybe a lab-bootcamp in 10 months??

This is my order:
    1)CVOICE
    2)CIPT
    3)GWGK (some of the test questions built off of basic CIPT stuff....that is why I took this AFTER CIPT.
    4)TUC
    5)QOS.....save this for last....I could probably have passed this 1st given my previous background.
    Cheers

Pullin'
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Although my main focus is ccnp, I find myself hitting various ccvp books due to work and general interest.

I've booked the cvoice exam in a couple of weeks, I think this is a great starting point as it gives a good general overview of the voice world. QoS will also be good, but can be a bit dry and could put you of. So I would recommend cvoice.