Options

Intel Atom - Next big Wave?

KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking foward to get some low-cost Desktop and laptop with this codename "Silverthorne" chip. Since the IT budget is cutting over and over again, and with CEO/CFO that don't understand the important of technology (computing power). We need something cheap to continue our business operation...

I hears some editor stated that IT guy never put enough OT ("Overtime," not "Off track"). Anyway, happy Mother day

icon_lol.gif
Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I generally don't see much need for computing power either. The majority of the people around here are running Word & Excel & Peachtree. That doesn't really require much in the way of resources. A few of us are running Photoshop & AutoCAD so those are the ones that really could use some beefy systems. Though only one of them does any sort of complex work in AutoCAD so he's the only one that really needs to be pushing spec. As for the servers they're pretty much there for Exchange, storage, security and SQL. They're all older machines but none of their limits are really being pushed yet. Now I know that this place isn't the norm but I do see lots of other places that upgrade their machines (like my wife's work) without truly needing the upgrade. I would say be careful about going overboard on the need for computing power. It may be better to make sure you are utilizing your current resources better. After all saving money always looks good to the higher-ups.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    On my home system, quad-core w/ 4 gigs, i notice the bottleneck is definently the disks icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    nl
    On my home system, quad-core w/ 4 gigs, i notice the bottleneck is definently the disks

Solid State disk?
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Raid 0 Raptors?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    Raid 0 Raptors?

Would you prefer SATA 150 @ 10k rpm over SATA-II 300 @ 7200?

That's an honest question. I really have no idea how those numbers translate into overall performance.

I didn't think there was a SATA-II Raptor, but I did a bit of research quickly, and I came across the VelociRaptor icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    dynamik wrote:
    I came across the VelociRaptor icon_eek.gif

Thats amasing dude, for a 2.5" to go that fast.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hetty wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    I came across the VelociRaptor icon_eek.gif

Thats amasing dude, for a 2.5" to go that fast.

Yes but can you imagine the noisey fans used to cool it.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Its in a 3.5" heatsink case (check the link)
  • Options
    I still think a true solid state disk will be any hard drive. But thats just me.
  • Options
    From what Ive read normal hard drives still beat solid state disks in most tests. For now anyway.
  • Options
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-memoright,1926-12.html

The only bad thing I see is price, but I would like one of the raptors. Big size smaller price than an ssd.
  • Options
    Cool, I read a review a few months back which left me wondering why you would be going with SSD if it had lower performance than a standard drive. Turns out it was a load of crap! haha Still a bit pricey ATM though.

I see google are going to be testing them in their servers.