Options

Backing up Messenger?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I was building a computer and installing software for someone who uses messenger quite a bit for their work. I installed messenger thinking that's all there was to it...but it seems messenger stores data locally on the computer(unlike aim), geh. I need to pay this person another visit and see about transferring the data onto the new computer for them. Is there anywhere on the computer where I could just grab this data...or do I have to export it?

If I have to export the data from the program, then that will suck for me. icon_sad.gif
Just looking for alternatives so I won't have to hook their old machine up. There's a lot of data so I will have to do the job. I just wanted to do it remotely without logging into their messenger account.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What data though? It keeps contact details online and that should return with a successful login.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Contacts, users, etc. He put his info in and none of that information came back on the new machine. Someone told me I needed to export the data off the old machine first. I'd rather just grab the files off there if possible...but I don't think it is.

I have a bunch of people to visit this morning and don't know if I'll have time to do that right away. I'll have to take care of him toward the end of the day. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Contacts, users, etc. He put his info in and none of that information came back on the new machine. Someone told me I needed to export the data off the old machine first. I'd rather just grab the files off there if possible...but I don't think it is.

I have a bunch of people to visit this morning and don't know if I'll have time to do that right away. I'll have to take care of him toward the end of the day. icon_sad.gif

I'm assuming you're referring to Windows Live Messenger. He can login from any computer and all his contacts and users will be there. Unless you're talking about the conversations that he has...those would be saved locally.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I did a quick search on the subject and apparently you can export your contacts from Windows Messenger and import them on another computer.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2004%2Fs1512%2F32s12%2F32s12.asp <-- scroll down to export & import.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I know you can import/export the files. My question was: Is there a way to transfer the data WITHOUT having to export and import the data? It would be a big hassle if I have to hook the machine up again, have him log into messenger, then go about exporting the data. Faster if I could just hook the machine up on a workbench and grab the necessary files.

Guessing that won't be possible.