Options

What modules should I put in my 3640?

fun20fun20 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Myself and a few of my co-workers have pooled our monies together in order to get some better equipment for the CCNA, CCNP, CCVP courses. I'm coming up short on what modules I should put in my three 3640 routers. I was leaing towards NM-2E2W x 3, NM-4 A/S x3. But I'm not sure if that will be useful for our purposes. Any help would be great.

Equipment so far:

3640 x3
2950 x3
7640 x2

Looking for a good access server. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    um ....

the ones that best suit your needs ?
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    fun20fun20 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats the problem I'm not sure what needs I'm trying to suit.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    For the access server, get a NM-16A, NM-32A, 2509 or a 2511. You can get HWIC ones as well but they're expensive and won't fit any of your hardware anyway.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    You are going to need a ethernet module, a serial module, a module to hold vic cards. Also the 3640 does not support 12.5 when it comes out. You might look at picking some 2600xm which support 12.5 with max memory they also come with ethernet capability.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fun20 wrote:
    I was leaing towards NM-2E2W x 3, NM-4 A/S x3.
    That's a good start. You may want at lease one NM-1FE1-TX for trunking.

My basic 3640 config, unless I'm trying to match a CCIE Workbook configuration exactly, is 1 NM-2E2W (with 1 WIC-1T), NM-4A/S, NM-1FE-TX (for ease and speed of upgrading IOS images).

For a while the NM-4A/s modules were cheaper than 2 WIC-1T cards, so that's why I went with them.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hey Mike, before everyone gets worried about 12.5 support, please reassure them that the current CCNA and CCNP exams don't go beyond 12.4

or correct me if I'm wrong

:D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote:
    please reassure them that the current CCNA and CCNP exams don't go beyond 12.4
    Actually, I was wondering which 12.4 specific features are being covered in the current exams.

Heck -- 12.2 probably still covers 95%+ of the topics.

Anyone seen any 12.4+ topics yet?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!