Options

Odd question about minimising

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Is it possible to have all my windows minimise the the bottom automatically

Like a screensaver kicks in after a set time, if i am reading something on my screen that i dont want to be in view when i walk away

I can do it manually every time but its a pain, i could lock it by pressing "window + L"but then i dont want to log back in every time i come back to my desk

This question is a bit random but hey if you dont ask.....

Thanks in advance

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You just need to learn to lock your machine when you leave your desk. It is a good skill to get used to security wise. Many companies REQUIRE it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    windows key + m

Will minimise all your windows.

But if you are leaving your desk you should really lock it
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    That would work Mishra, but as i already stated i dont want to log into my pc over 50 times a day

doing so many thing at once in work makes you want to automate the little things to you dont waste time doing things that arnt so important, ya get me

Lee H
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    That would work Mishra, but as i already stated i dont want to log into my pc over 50 times a day

doing so many thing at once in work makes you want to automate the little things to you dont waste time doing things that arnt so important, ya get me

Lee H

At my old company we implemented a security policy that made you have 2 accounts. One account was to be your user account where you log in, check your mail, and change your desktop background. The other account was your enterprise level account. When you wanted to launch ADUC or ANY administration tool you had to launch it with a RunAs and specify your enterprise account credentials over and over again.

Sometimes things can't be automated in the name of security. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you are in a workgroup you could use a cheap fingerprint scanner, if you are in a domain you would have to buy licenses to use it.
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dave0212 wrote:
    windows key + m

Will minimise all your windows.

But if you are leaving your desk you should really lock it

I've always used window key + d, m does nothing for me.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    m is minimize and d is show desktop. They basically do the same thing. Maybe your m key is broken.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H
    If you are an administrator on the network, locking your workstation is not unimportant nor is it a waste of time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The thing I like about superkey+d is that it will minimize everything and then if you press it again it will restore everything, unlike superkey+m.

And as for Lee I would highly recommend locking your computer when you're away from it. It only takes 2 seconds to hit ctrl-alt-del and your password. Time varies depending upon typing speed and familiarity with your password, of course.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Hit Windows key + L and be done with it. You should be locking your computer.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You could always enable the quicklaunch on the taskbar, and put a show desktop button there. Then, one click and all windows are minimized......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input guys

I understand the importance of locking your PC and i know i should be doing it, current position is relaxed regarding security so no need to be locking desktop all staff are trustworthy its a small company, i am up and down all day and i just get fed up minimising all my windows.

Thanks guys

Lee
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on your setup too. I lock mine out of habit, but there's no real reason to do so. I run on an XP machine as a regular user and either remote desktop or log on locally to the servers. Anyone who obtained access to my machine would only have access to various emails and files, none of which are the least bit sensitive.

There's always a trade-off between security on convenience, and the best balance will vary depending on the situation.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Lee H wrote:
    Thanks for all your input guys

I understand the importance of locking your PC and i know i should be doing it, current position is relaxed regarding security so no need to be locking desktop all staff are trustworthy its a small company, i am up and down all day and i just get fed up minimising all my windows.

Thanks guys

Lee

Why are you minimizing your windows? If it is because you don't want people looking at stuff or playing with you computer, you really aren't protecting yourself much by doing so. And I am sure you know by now what you should be doing... maybe a fingerprint scanner or smartcard would help or you could always change the password policy to accept simple passwords and create a more simple password for logging in.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    m is minimize and d is show desktop. They basically do the same thing. Maybe your m key is broken.
    An interesting bit of WinXP trivia is that the Show Desktop icon in the Quick Launch bar is incorrectly labeled "Show Desktop" when it is actually a shortcut to the "Toggle Desktop" function. I assume this is on purpose because Microsoft has never relabeled it.
  • Options
    I could see Toggle Desktop being more confusing than Show Desktop to the general masses.
  • Options
    Why are you minimizing your windows? If it is because you don't want people looking at stuff or playing with you computer, you really aren't protecting yourself much by doing so. And I am sure you know by now what you should be doing...

I of course understand the importance of "locking" your PC, in the environment that i work in it is not a security risk to leave my PC unlocked, and if i can avoid putting in my password 50 times a day then i will, what i do though is minimise all my windows

I have thought of an idea though, take a screen shot of my entire desktop, save it as a screensaver, it would then appear that i was at my desktop when the screen saver started, lol

Lee H
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I am still curious about the why of it all. What are you trying to accomplish by minimizing if there are no security risks?
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    I am still curious about the why of it all. What are you trying to accomplish by minimizing if there are no security risks?

I can say 100% that nobody will sit at my desk and riffle through my docs, but there may be a glance at my monitor when someone walks past

It was more of a "Is it possible" question than a "I gotta be able to do this" question

Lee H
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Is it possible to have all my windows minimise the the bottom automatically

Like a screensaver kicks in after a set time, if i am reading something on my screen that i dont want to be in view when i walk away

I can do it manually every time but its a pain, i could lock it by pressing "window + L"but then i dont want to log back in every time i come back to my desk

This question is a bit random but hey if you dont ask.....

Thanks in advance

Lee H

Don't be lookin at p0rn all day and you wont have to hide your screen. icon_lol.gif
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Ok, alternative idea then. Make a shortcut to your screensaver and then set the shortcut to activate at a specific keypress i.e. ctrl-alt-j.