Options

Lunches

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
So what you all have for lunches? I eat fast food everytime... Sometimes I may bring a sandwich from home and will eat those for 3 days or so. I'm usually getting the cheapest food I can get and going to the place that is closest to my work. I'm such a cheap guy!

I'm regular food choices are

Burger King -> double cheeseburger
Taco Bell -> grande soft taco
KFC -> individual popcorn chicken and mac n chz
Dairy Queen -> chicken finger basket
Pizza Hut -> buffet
Wendys -> 10 piece chicken nugget combo

Occasionally I will have:

Mcallisters -> club
Penn Station -> small pizza sub
Rallys -> double cheeseburger
Mcdonalds -> double cheeseburger
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Lunch? I miss it sometimes just because I want to get off an hour early. :) But when I do have lunch it usually ends up being from this list:

Orange Chicken Style Tofu (my favourite, but it would be leftovers from the night before)
    Peanutbutter & Jelly
    Watermelon
    Bananas
    Pasta
    Burritos
    Subway (my one eating out for lunch, and it is a rarity)

I normally don't have transportation so I don't go out to eat too much, plus I'm vegetarian/vegan so that limits where I can eat out. Lots of bananas is how it usually ends up, or pasta. It's hard to eat half a watermelon in an hour but it goes a long way! Unfortunately you have to go lots afterwords as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I usually have a Campbell's Chucky Grilled Chicken and Sausage Gumbo soup or a sandwich I bring from home. I try to eat only once a week. I either get a Chicken Burrito from Chipotle or Sichuan Cashew Chicken or Thai Curry Chicken from Big Bowl Express. I guess I eat a lot of chicken...
  • Options
    ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    Boars Head Turkey on Wheat with balsamic Vinegar Everyday (either cajun style turkey or oven Gold Boars Head Rules!!! lol icon_smile.gif It's a joke me and my co-worker have going on we are both Die hard Boars Head Fans...
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually try to eat healthy but I do eat out most of the time:
    Subway
    Quiznos
    Panera

And I do go to a gyros place about once a week for a gyro.

I also go to Panda Express about once every other week. Speaking of which, I feel like Panda Express today. :)

I go to a burrito place around here every so often.

I've had Burger King probably 3 times in the last 1.5 years. Portillos is good. I go there and have a hotdog about once a month.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I try to eat only once a week.

So what you're saying is, you weigh about 40 pounds?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    I'm setting myself up to look bad. ^_^

For lunch I don't eat healthy but I don't really eat a lot of food. I drink water throughout the work day and will eat good and drink juices and stuff at home.

I try to get myself into a routine to bring good food to work but it is too much work! :) So I will probably always eat out and probably won't eat "healthy". To really eat healthy you have spend 10+ on your lunch at odd places.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Mishra wrote:
    So what you all have for lunches? I eat fast food everytime... Sometimes I may bring a sandwich from home and will eat those for 3 days or so. I'm usually getting the cheapest food I can get and going to the place that is closest to my work. I'm such a cheap guy!

Pizza Hut -> buffet

Mcallisters -> club

Holy crap. How does your body withstand fast food every day? I thought I was bad eating Quiznos (sometimes salads) once every week or two.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    my average lunch:

6 ounces of tuna or chicken
    1 cup of steamed brown rice
    1 small spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing

I try to never eat out at lunch but sometimes it happens.

I also try to eat once every 2 to 3 hours so I eat 3 meals while I am at work. Lunch is the biggest the others are just glorified snacks.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My favorite place to eat is port of subs. Its somewhat healty at least to the other places around here. We also have a little diner called the peppersauce, and its rather good but always busy. I also like samurai sams. I try to avoid the burger/fry joints as best I can but sometimes i need to change it up. Other than that, its the usual BK, Sonic, Whataburger (probably the worst for you) and Jack in the Box. Oh, there is a carls jr (hardees for all you east of the mississippi) I like to go to as well. I just ate at a mexican place called Aunt Chiladas which was pretty darn good.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:

Pizza Hut -> buffet

Mcallisters -> club

Jesus man, how can you eat all that sh*te!! icon_lol.gif One mcdonalds a year will do me :D

i have a mixed diet really sometimes salads, sandwhichs, pasta, hot and cold foods (our canteens pretty good) etc, along with fruit and veg, fling in some chocolate too...
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Aunt Chiladas is good? The wife and I considered going to that place once (I-10 & Baseline) a year ago but when we drove into the parking lot we looked around and then drove right on through. The look of the place just made me think low quality and expect bits of rats/cats/dogs in the food. Maybe we'll give it a second glance now.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I work in the "trendy" part of Berkeley, so we've got all kinds of resturants and little food-places to go have lunch. Still, beyond the little sushi-resturants and diners, there are quite a few regular places to get something to pick up, as well as fast food. I usually end up picking up a lunch-special from a Chinese resturant, (you can't go wrong with fried rice/chow mein and some lemon chicken for $4.00,) or going to the Hawaiian Barbecue for a mix-plate. Other than that, I'll try to bring a sandwich or a gigantic cup-o-noodles, or something.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Aunt Chiladas is good? The wife and I considered going to that place once (I-10 & Baseline) a year ago but when we drove into the parking lot we looked around and then drove right on through. The look of the place just made me think low quality and expect bits of rats/cats/dogs in the food. Maybe we'll give it a second glance now.

yes, its pretty good! their outside ambiance is fairly nice; that is if you mind the ducks walking around. Overall, its a pretty good 'hole in the wall' restaurant that I think gets good dinner service. Salsa and chips are pretty good, and I had the pollo fundido (really good BTW). Im not sure what other dishes they had, as I just ordered that cause it sounded really good. Id say give it a shot.

I-10 and baseline is close to my office; so if you know of any other good places to eat, let me know :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a full gym in my office building, so my lunches are generally spent down there on a treadmill. As for food, it's generally a Clif Builder's Bar for breakfast, another for lunch, and sometimes a Larabar or some other somewhat healthy, shelf stable bar that I keep in a cabinet at my cube.

For real food, it's generally a trip down to Willy's (similar to but better than Chipotle).
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lunch is the most important part of a mans day, its true, a good lunch break gives you the energy for the afternoon! And it stops me being grumpy icon_redface.gif

If im actually in our main office (rather than being onsite wherever), after a discussion that can usually last for hours we all usually go out for:-

Vietnamese curry - red beef curry is my fave. £5

Thai curry - half and half - usually the daily special and lamb curry £5 with a veg spring roll

Chinese - normally all you can eat for like £8, although after two medium size plates i am done!

Japanese - normally a katsu curry or katsu-don (pork and egg) with rice and misou soup £7

Italian pasta - Normally half and half of whatever is on choice £6

KFC - Chicken pieces and hot wings (has to be done sometimes) £4

Pie and Mash - Lots of good pubs around our office to get a good pie and mash on a cold day, wash down with a beer!

Those are the main places we go to, there are also good british cafes/fish and chippies to get fry ups, but thats a rarity coz they are real artery cloggers :P

Sometimes i bring in my own sandwhiches as well which normally has meat, cheese and some kind of salad in it and I make my own bread at home which tastes great (ok i have a bread machine so I half ****)!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Any real Japanese, Thai, Greek, Indian, Persian, or Cuban food. There's a Peruvian place near my work that very good too, but I gotta travel to Los Angeles for Moroccan and Ethiopian cuisine.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Raison bran. Sometimes I use a spoon.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    nel wrote:
    Jesus man, how can you eat all that sh*te!! icon_lol.gif One mcdonalds a year will do me :D

i have a mixed diet really sometimes salads, sandwhichs, pasta, hot and cold foods (our canteens pretty good) etc, along with fruit and veg, fling in some chocolate too...

Because its all cheap. When the cashier says "that will be 4.15" then I am happy.

Really what I eat isn't as crazy as you all think.

For example I eat about 1.5 grande soft tacos at taco bell... Thats it. So about 650 calories for my lunch. Include 1 soda (no refills) and you can bump it to about 750. Water the rest of the day. Go home and eat my dinner which is probably another 750 calories (I never eat fast food at home or do I go out to restaurants) so probably 1,500 calories a day which is at the MINIMUM I should eat for the day.

I'm 5'6 and stay at 130-135 pounds and regularly exercise.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    You still need to keep an eye on the fat/carbs/protein ratio. The fast food can be a killer on that.
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    dynamik wrote:
    I try to eat only once a week.

WOW.... you must be skinny! icon_twisted.gif

For lunch I have lately been eating Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice(45% less sodium) and crackers.

Now for breakfast today was a piece of boneless pork ribs and fries. But, I eat breakfast at about 1pm before heading to work and is one of two meals for the day.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    For a field which is generally stereotyped as consisting solely of lards, it's nice to see that many of you still strive to maintain healthy eating habits.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    My eating habits are all out of whack, full of fast food cuz I just don't have time to make meals at home EVER. (my free time amounts to the first half of saturday, the rest of my week is accounted for).

However, I've been trying to combat that with exercise. I cut an hour out of my sleep three times a week to go work out at a gym.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PBJ, yogurt, apple, and carrot sticks

used to do just a protein shakes after working out at lunch, but that just wasn't cutting it
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Mmm mmm, lunch! I'm lucky enough to have a wife who cooks dinner every night. So everyday I bring lunch to work, which is usually last nights dinner.

Every now and then (maybe 2-3 times a month) I would eat out. You can imagine how much money it adds up saving $5 a day.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to have a huge breakfast >> oatmeal, eggs and fruit, so that it would last me for a good part of day. Lunch is usually when I get back home at 3:45pm, then its a home mae big lunch, rarely do I eat out regardless of being in the office or at home. Tons of coffee during breakfast and lunch though.
  • Options
    My breakfast is a 90 calorie peanut butter cracker snack pack thing.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Yeah, I ballooned about 75 pounds when I began working in IT. Constant sitting on your butt, plus I ate like crap. When I reached 290 pounds, that was it. Now, I eat a VERY strict diet. If I eat out for lunch, it's always a salad, or a small sub on wheat bread, etc. I've dropped about 35 pounds since I changed my diet at the beginning of the year. Still have a long way to go.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I eat Subway probably 3 times per week minimum. I always get all the veggies on my subs, and for the meat... Changes from day to day so that I don't get burned out on one item.

Once in a while I go to Mr. Pita, and soon we will have a Jimmy Johns near my work as well.

If one of my friends are available to go to lunch, we usually go somewhere to sit down. I think my favorite lunches are when I can get someone to go grab Thai with me.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Sales: Hey Cacharo we need a tour of the Datacenter on friday. Are you available at 1:30?

Cacharo: 1:30 is a little late for lunch don't you think?

Sales: Ok, you got me. I'll come early and bring lunch.

Cacharo: Ca Ching!

That is why I am everybody's favorite guy in the NOC.

I don't care what it is, as long as we get sales to pay for it...
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a field which is generally stereotyped as consisting solely of lards, it's nice to see that many of you still strive to maintain healthy eating habits.

i stick to salads or subway. I don't want to be the fat IT guy. I agree though, it is nice to see that everyone is trying to stay healthy. We are the new generation of IT people.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."