A few questions (Not abot equipment this time!) hehe

stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all!

Im coming close to the end of my CCNA Net Academy course (Just starting Semester 4) So, I have a few questions, although its not on any of the topics themselves.. I would appreciate any feedback at all as im currently stumped.

From people who have currently gained their CCNA, did you go about it through 2 exams or just the 1 full and which did you find better?

That being said, the option of 2 exams, which ones are they exactly and how do they differ compared to just the 1 full one.. Are they like Semester 1+2 could be one exam and then Semester 3+4 is the other half to make the full CCNA?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to know my options while I cram all this information, ready to take the exam(s)!

Thanks alot!
:)

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I'm close to feeling finished with my CCNA studies and I definitely am more interested in taking the one exam option. Main reason is I don't see any reason to spend extra money especially when I believe I would cruise right through ICND1 no problem.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually going through the 2 exam route so I can be more prepared to know the material when I'm expected of it at work.

If money or time isn't an issue I would suggest the 2 exam route.

There is not that many books for the 822 and as well as the 816 so you will end up buying books for the ccna 802 exam anyways. So like I said before if money isn't an issue then go for the 2 exam route.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did the voucher exam in the Cisco Network Academy Program for the INTRO exam after the first 2 semesters for the exam practice. But since we could use only one voucher, I waited until I finished semester 4 and the final voucher exam and used my voucher for the 50-60% off the single 640-801 exam.

I averaged 99% in the old 3.1 curriculum and took my semester 4 final on a Tuesday and the single 640-801 CCNA Exam on that Friday.

Some people would take the 2 exam option so that they wouldn't have to remember as much stuff at one time for an exam -- but since I figure you need to know the stuff to "do the job" you may as well learn it all well enough to remember it long enough for the one exam option. :D

Since Cisco updated the CCNA and added the CCENT option, the ICND1 exam seems to have "more meat" to it. But it does look like the Academy Courseware has kept up and splits the first 2 semesters for the ICND1 exam and the last 2 semesters for the ICND2 exam.

You can check out the exam options on the Cisco CCNA Certification page. Follow the exam links for the topics you need to know for the exams -- whether it's the one or two exam option.

Also check out the CCNA Forum FAQ -- it has the links to the Cisco Exam Tutorial and the Cisco CCNA Prep Center, along with some other helpful and useful stuff.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies everybody. Im just looking through the links now mike... I guess you're right on the aspect of needing to know it all "to do the job".

Saying that, Ive been using the academy as well as TrainSignal Video's (I enjoy watching it being set up there and then, allows me to do the same on my lab as I watch), Sybex books etc (sometimes the academy sections do tend to beat around the bush on some bits, instead of getting right into it)

Again, thanks for the help.. I was just more or less wondering if I was able to cram all the information in without having a meltdown or just studying for 2 seperate exams hehe. :P
  • 127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stevi3, are you taking version 3.1 or version 4.0 of the Cisco Networking Academy Curriculum? Cisco made a newer 4.0 curriculum for the new 640-802 exams. Semester 1 & 2 of CCNA Discovery prepare you for your CCENT (ICND 1), and then Semesters 2, 3, and 4 of CCNA Exploration will prepare you for your CCNA (ICND 2).

I'm on Semester 4 of the newer curriculum!

I would recommend you to go with the two exam option. This way you end up dedicating more time studying for the exam topics. It's easier to study it in two parts also.
    127.0.0.1 wrote:
    stevi3, are you taking version 3.1 or version 4.0 of the Cisco Networking Academy Curriculum? Cisco made a newer 4.0 curriculum for the new 640-802 exams. Semester 1 & 2 of CCNA Discovery prepare you for your CCENT (ICND 1), and then Semesters 2, 3, and 4 of CCNA Exploration will prepare you for your CCNA (ICND 2).

I'm on Semester 4 of the newer curriculum!

I would recommend you to go with the two exam option. This way you end up dedicating more time studying for the exam topics. It's easier to study it in two parts also.

Well I just looked and it seems im on version 3.1.. I did get some retired exam promotional codes (it says I can use them to do the older exam version, before it was updated) I guess its a good thing I got some newer studying material to throw in too, I guess.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    stevi3 wrote:
    Well I just looked and it seems im on version 3.1.
    If you're finishing up the "old" courses, it probably makes sense to take the "old" exam(s). You should get a voucher number (or something) from your Academy that lets you call up VUE and register for the "old" exam(s).

But if you plan to do some more self-study before you attempt the exam, and use the new Odom Cisco Press Certification Library and/or Todd's Sybex book -- then you may be fine. If you have your heart set on the CCENT first (and the 2 exam option), then your only option is the "new" exams.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    stevi3 wrote:
    Well I just looked and it seems im on version 3.1.
    If you're finishing up the "old" courses, it probably makes sense to take the "old" exam(s). You should get a voucher number (or something) from your Academy that lets you call up VUE and register for the "old" exam(s).

But if you plan to do some more self-study before you attempt the exam, and use the new Odom Cisco Press Certification Library and/or Todd's Sybex book -- then you may be fine. If you have your heart set on the CCENT first (and the 2 exam option), then your only option is the "new" exams.

Yea, I got the retired exam codes, they are valid untill September, this year. I guess its time to get stuck in and finish up and get revising and hopefully take it before the codes run out.

Thanks!