Help with HSRP

bohra_ajaybohra_ajay Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Friends,

Yesterday i went for an interview, there i was asked about the redundancy / Backup router and switches.

I was asked what configuration and Physical setup would i do to provide Redundancy to the network.

If i have 2 switches and also with 2 routers.

I was Blank headed. Also, i wa asked about HSRP.

Please put some light on this protocol, its configuration and how to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    www.google.com
    search "hsrp"
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote:
    www.google.com
    search "hsrp"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LMAO!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EdTheLad wrote:
    www.google.com
    search "hsrp"
    Since HSRP is a Cisco proprietary protocol wouldn't
    www.cisco.com
    search HSRP

be a better answer?

Anyway.... check out the First Hop Redundancy Protocol section of the Cisco IOS IP Addressing Services Configuration Guide (I linked to the 12.4 version) in the Cisco Documentation.

There are sections for
    Configuring GLBP (Gateway Load Balancing Protocol)
    Configuring HSRP (Hot Standby Router Protocol)
    Configuring VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol)

And before anybody here in the CCNA/CCNT forum starts panicking, don't worry -- it's not part of the CCNA. The redundancy topics are part of the CCNP 642-812 BCMSN exam.
    Implement gateway redundancy technologies.

* Explain the functions and operations of gateway redundancy protocols (i.e., HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP).
    * Configure HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.
    * Verify High Availability configurations.

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    And before anybody here in the CCNA/CCNT forum starts panicking, don't worry -- it's not part of the CCNA. The redundancy topics are part of the CCNP 642-812 BCMSN exam.
    Implement gateway redundancy technologies.

Does that mean I can take the shotgun out of my mouth now? (At least, until I get ready for the CCNP track.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, be fine, put shotgun away. You need CCNP and possibly CCDP knowledge to answer that question right, and maybe ask some questions for clarity.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • bohra_ajaybohra_ajay Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your feedback.

thats what i was amazed at as in my CCNA i have not came accross this thing. And i have not mentioned in my resume anywhere about CCNP persuing either.

Sorry to the friends who have been disturbed by this question of mine in this wrong forum. I should have better asked it in CCNP.

Thanks a lot again.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess we should mention redundant links between the switches. At the CCNP level you'll learn about Etherchannel, but I think at the CCNA level you may be able to get into some of the redundancy and load balancing tricks with Spanning-Tree and VLANs over multiple trunks.

Since you mentioned the specific case of 2 routers and 2 switches, if your routers have the extra interfaces, then the routers could have a physical connection to each switch for redundancy (along with one of the redundancy protocols already mentioned). You don't want a single port failure to shut your business down.

And if an entire switch died, then you may lose 1/2 your hosts until you can replace it -- but the other half should keep on working. You shouldn't have to scramble to reconfigure your network to reach a still working router that was plugged into the dead switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!