Options

Perspectives

aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
I thought I'd share a humbling experience yesterday morning that shook my perspective on things a little bit.

I was going through my blogroll this morning trying to catch up on any updates from some of my favorite Cisco-related blogs. It is my customary habit to read the comments left by others and click on their links if they happened to have a page of their own. I usually do this to find some interesting blogs from regular people like me, to look for inspiration or good study methods, or simply just to see where others are at in their journey.

Today I was going through one of Ethan Banks‘ older posts and happened to click on the 5th comment. The comment was from the same person who like many are also an aspiring CCIE. I started reading his posts and found that we are somewhat in a similar position. We are both young, with a wife and children. Like me he also has aspirations to be on top of the CIscoworld. We are both somewhat just starting, although he is a little bit ahead. Looking at his study notes, I couldn’t help thinking how his note-taking style is very similar to mine. Even his blog template is exactly like mine.

But other than all that I thought he was just some “other guy” out there just like everyone else. I thought I’d add his webpage to my blogrolland let him know about it. I started writing him a comment letting him know how I enjoyed his blog and how I can identify with his current journey, etc. Before I sent the comment, I realized I didn’t even know what his name was. So I started to browse around on his page and I was just floored by the last post that was written on his page.

His name was Jonathan Kintner. He was just 27 years old. He died on May 10th, 2008.

I don’t even know the guy. I just saw his blog today. But I couldn’t help but feel such sorrow for this tragedy. I guess reading his blog created a little sense of connection. Even though I didn’t know who he is, he’s still a real person with real wants, and real aspirations. He is in the same fraternity as all of us who are pursuing the same dreams.

I got into thinking as I took a long break from my studying this morning. For the past 6 months, I’ve been heavily focused on studying (Cisco certs). I’ve been poring over lengthy notes, hundreds and hundreds of pages of reading, many hours of lab practice. To the point that my lifestyle has started to shift and evolve to something where my focus is on certification. I’ve passed on many of my son’s beckoning to play with him. I’ve missed several dinners with my wife and son because I had to meet a scheduled chapter reading. Even with that, I still felt like I haven’t allocated enough time to studying. But with tragedy such as Jonathan’s untimely passing, you are forced to look at things from a different perspective. For a moment you step out of the vacuum that you’re in as you pull yourself from being immersed by your goals. You begin to think about your life again.

I am alive. And because I am alive, I have so much power that I can wield to make other people happy. I can still dream and I can still wish. But I still have that power to make those things happen. But not to the extent of sacrificing my family for it.

I don’t know what kind of life Jonathan had. I can only hope that he left a lasting legacy in his short time as a father and a husband. And I can tell that he has a family that loved him. I’m sure he had left a lot of beautiful memories for his wife and daughters. My original intention was to add his page as a link to mine. So I can learn with him and learn from him. Little did I know that this morning, my eyes would be open just a little bit more than it was.

If you're compelled, visit his page and leave a nice comment to his family (or to him if you'd like). Whether they still read it or not doesn't matter. The support that comes from this community, or from anyone else, at this time of pain trumps any help we might have gotten from someone helping us how to figure out subnetting, or what an inverse ARP does.

May his soul, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen!
CCIE Wr: In Progress...
Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
Follow my study progress at Route My World!
My CCIE Thread

Comments

• Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    May his soul rest in peace!! My heart goes out to his family.
    His legacy remains...
    When such fine people leave this world...I'm left with so many questions!
    Why?
    Where are there?
    Will there be a reunion?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This sounds terrible, but I think that occasionally hearing about things like this can be beneficial. These types of events always seem to realign your priorities and get you back on track. We hear about hundreds of thousands or millions dead in wars, but those numbers are so large that they're just statistics. I can't even picture that many people if try. It's a completely different story when it's an individual, especially when his or her life parallels yours.

That sounds like it was a surreal experience for you, and it's impressive that he is able to inspire and positively affect others after his death. That was an interesting story, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    He posted on another forum that I frequent and it was heartbreaking to hear he had passed away.
    Like dynamik said it definitely makes you realign priorities and realize how much family and friends mean in your life.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    indyguyindyguy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    May his Soul Rest in Peace !!! and may god give courage to his wife and son in this difficult time.
    I would really hate it to leave my wife and child in that position icon_sad.gif but you never know whats gonna happen. be good and be good to others!!!

wat a gr8 man ... he donated his organs aswell !!!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My thoughts go out to his family, what a horrible thing to happen at such a young age.

Just goes to show you have to live life for today and enjoy it while we have the opportunity.

Well played for donating organs, a chance for another life to continue. Im on the donar list in the UK and i would encourage everyone to do so. Infact i would like it if it was made mandatory.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking