Options

How do you pay for this????

watcher69bwatcher69b Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was looking at the cost of the RHCE again. According to the Red Hat website the exam costs $799.00 (US) icon_eek.gif

I dont know about everyone else but my job is not into paying for tests.
How is everyone else paying for this test?
Is there a discount for any re-takes that are needed?
Discount vouchers?
anyone want to donate a few bucks? :D
B.S. in Computer Science

Linux+
A+
Network+
MCSA - 2003 Server
MCP - Windows XP
CCA - Presentation Server 4.0

All your base are belongs to us!

Comments

• Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    How much would being a RHCE increase your market value?
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My employer pays for all exam fees...although I have never taken a single exam that is that expensive. Do they pay for training at all? Perhaps if you showed them the value of the certification, they might be willing to at least partially reimburse you.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    at $799 that is definitely something I would get the employer to pay for
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    watcher69bwatcher69b Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for the state government so money is always hard to get
    That is if it not going to be spent on $500 toilet seats.
    Hummm maybe i will put in a req for 2 'Red Hat' toilet seats...

I am just kidding.
    I had had the idea of signing up for one of the classes that includes the test.
    But training has to be with in your current field and i am a Windows Admin.
    Which kind of rules out Linux training.
    B.S. in Computer Science

Linux+
    A+
    Network+
    MCSA - 2003 Server
    MCP - Windows XP
    CCA - Presentation Server 4.0

All your base are belongs to us!
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've paid for all of my own certifications and put the expenses down on my tax returns as education expenses. If you plan on paying for certs out of pocket, check with your tax advisor to see if you qualify to deduct the expenses.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Aside from my A+ I've had to pay for all of my certifications. Which now that I think of it comes up to somewhere around $600 so far with when I'm done with my MCSE will be an additional $375 on top of that. Assuming I pass all of these exams, of course. Then another exam for my MCSA/MCSE Security credential will be an additional $125. So that's over $1000 paid out for certification. The RHCE price seems pretty fair to me since it is just like combining all those exams into just one exam. So it is way more convenient that way! RHCE is what I'm thinking of doing once I'm done with my MCSE. Which will again most likely be out of my own pocketses.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    If I end up doing the exam I'll more than likely be paying for it myself...
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My employer is pretty good about paying for my certs and training, but we don't use *nix at our shop, so I will likely have to foot the bill for this one.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    My employer is pretty good about paying for my certs and training, but we don't use *nix at our shop, so I will likely have to foot the bill for this one.

mine too, until recently...i payed for 70-293 myself.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Going to have my employer pick this one up.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    Going to have my employer pick this one up.

Same here .. as long as examinations are work related he pays for everything .. We can even book exams with his credit card if they are too expensive to re-clain later \o/
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    To date I have spent $3675 on exam fees alone (this does not include books, equipment, rack rentals, etc).

To date I have had about $300 paid back by employers, and don't expect to see any more.
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    My employer reimburses me as long as I pass. If I fail, I lose out on the money.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    My employer reimburses me as long as I pass. If I fail, I lose out on the money.

Really ? Pfff .... he would even reimburse us for re-takes but nobody every asked for it .. seems a bit wrong to ask for it .. but lets say you need two attempts to pass an exam .. he pays at least one - the one you passed with :)

I mean he (the owner of the company) gets also the benefits of it (more points in the partner program in Microsoft for example) so I guess this is the main reason anyway ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    mrhaun03 wrote:

same here
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com