CCNA

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Hi,

I'm studying for my CCNA. I'm going to be taking the 640-802 test. Where can I book the test at? I live in Canada.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pearson/Vue is the official provider of Cisco Certification exams worldwide... yada, yada, yada.

http://www.vue.com/

Exam Information is under the "Featured Links" on the Cisco Certifications page.

Also check out the CCNA Forum FAQ -- the links to the Cisco CCNA Prep Center and the Exam Demo/Tutorial are in the "Other Cisco Resources" section.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the quick reply.

This is my first Cisco exam. I'm going to be taking the 640-802 exam and I was wondering about a couple things.

1.) I can subnet pretty quickly in my head, however can you not use a piece of paper during exam?

2.) I have a Network Diploma, and the Comptia Network+ certificate. I've been working in the field for a couple years now. However, I have VERY little Cisco hands on. Will this exam be very difficult with my background?

3.) I am using the Sybex 6th edition book. I also plan on doing practice questions from this site. Will this be more than enough?

I'll submit more questions as I remember. :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You get an erasable plastic covered sheet and dry erase marker. If you watch the demo and read the NDA before you go to the exam (links in the FAQ) you can use that time to write out your emergency backup subnetting chart/notes.

Cisco is big on the the hands on knowledge. If you look at the 640-802 Exam Blueprint you see a lot of tasks that have the words perform, verify, configure, troubleshoot, etc. -- and that implies they are hands on skills. You may be able to memorize some command for configurations and verification -- but it's a lot easier to remember them when you practice them and use them while studying. Lack of hands on practice is probably the number one reason people fail the exam.

The Sybex book is a good quick fun review for someone who has been working with Cisco for a while and just needs to brush on some of the latest trivia and possibly a few topics they don't use in their daily job. It's also really good for learning subnetting. But NOT READING ODOM's Cisco Press Certification Library (link to latest version is in the FAQ) is probably the other number one reason people fail the exam :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Well I'm going to finish up this book along with my Cisco Visualizer tool. I'll do some practice questions here out ODOM's Cisco Press Certification Library.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I was in your same situation when I was studying for my CCNA. I used the CCNA Virtual Lab software to help get practice with hands on. It came with labs to configure so it was ok. There are better simulation software out there but I think that would be enough to get through the hands on portions of the CCNA, at least in my opinion. Now if you are going for the professional level certs, it is recommended to use real equipment.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
    At this time I'm only looking to achieve my CCNA to give me a understanding of how Cisco devices work and operate.

By the way, what do you mean about "labs" ??
  • bluesjunior23bluesjunior23 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Labs" are just a specific router/switch configuration that you perform using either real or simulation equipment. For example a lab might be to configure RIP routing between two routers. You would then simply do just that; configure rip!