Options

VCP exam without course

2»

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why not just d/l and install a trial version of 3.5 Enterprise? Do you have any hardware that might work available to you?
  • Options
    mrx9000mrx9000 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ideally I would like to build a virtual, virtual infrastructure so that I can work entirely from one decent PC, I am not sure if this is possible not having access to physical iSCSI / HBA adaptors?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Combined with the iSCSI Software Initiator that will work.

The other choice is to use NFS to host the VMs.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Just for everyone's clarification, the software initiator is included with ESX.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.

This class is considered an "alternate" to the install and config class. It focuses on command line administration via the ESX Service Console. There are no test questinos regarding commands in the Service Console.

According to my instructor, Install and Config is all that is needed to pass the VCP.

The fasttrack is a hybrid between the two and you get a voucher for the exam. It is more or less a 12 hour X 5 day boot camp with VMware certified instructors.

Happy Testing!
    Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking
  • Options
    ccaltacc wrote:
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.
    DSA was added as an option for people who had been working with ESX for a few years and who wanted to get their VCP but didn't want to "go back to basics" and instead get some value out of the training. The DSA course content now maps to the Enterprise exam in the VCDX track. I&C like you said maps to the VCP exam.

P.S. You double posted. :)
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    From the blog of a VMWare trainer:

* You get asked 75 questions
    * You have 90 minutes to answer the questions
    * You have to get a score of 70 or better to pass
    * The questions are weighted, so some score more points than others
    * You have to go to a Pearson Vue testing centre to take the exam
    * The Install & Configure course is the best match to the exam
    * You do have to attend an official course to be a VCP
    * You can take the exam without attending an official course, but you won't be a VCP
    * Roughly 85% of takers pass first time

I will take the exam without the course and wait till I find an employer that pays for it icon_cool.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Andretii wrote: »
    * You do have to attend an official course to be a VCP
    * You can take the exam without attending an official course, but you won't be a VCP
    Yes. They won't stop you from taking the VCP exam but you won't actually get the VCP certification without attending an official course.
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    tiersten wrote: »
    Yes. They won't stop you from taking the VCP exam but you won't actually get the VCP certification without attending an official course.

That's good enough with me since I just want to accumulate all the skills/certifications that I'm looking for this year and them put them on practice next year when I hopefully move to another job that requires those skills. icon_study.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Andretii wrote: »
    That's good enough with me since I just want to accumulate all the skills/certifications that I'm looking for this year and them put them on practice next year when I hopefully move to another job that requires those skills. icon_study.gif
    Just be aware that VI3.5 aka ESX 3.5 is going to be replaced by vSphere 4.0 aka ESX 4.0 soon and that the exam + course will be changing at some point. If you've taken the official VI3.5 VCP course (there are unofficial ones that won't qualify you for a VCP) then you've got to take the exam by December 2009 I believe it is otherwise you have to retake the course.