Options

2600 FastEthernet WIC does it exist????

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Cisco gods!
do you guys know of any WIC for a 2610 Cisco router that is a fastethernet.
or do they not make them. I need a fastethernet connection to
do router on astick.
thanks

i have looked all over and canonot find a FastEthernt card for my 2610
does it exist or am I SOL???

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check the FAQ. You can do router on a stick (trunking) with a 10Mb port on the 2600 with the proper IOS.

The WIC-1ENET only works in the 1700s.

And the 1720 100Mb port is the only 100Mb port that doesn't support trunking -- so no router on a stick with that model.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've seen people get a NM-1FE-TX to work with a 2610 with maxed memory/flash running the IP FW/VPN/3DES/IDS PLUS image. Definately not supported though. :)
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks Mike and asstors

i will look into that i remember that somewhere ;)
    thanks
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Check the FAQ. You can do router on a stick (trunking) with a 10Mb port on the 2600 with the proper IOS.

Mike, do you know which specific IOS that a ROAS can work with a 10Mb port? I'm practically in the same position as itdaddy. My plan was to borrow an NM-2FE from my employer, but that was not a guaranteed or permanent solution. If I can use an IOS and a 10Mb port, I would be in business. I'll try with my current IOS when I get some time and post back to the forum.

Thanks,

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like this answers my question about the IOS that supports the ROAS with the 10Mb port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

I'll test this out when I get a chance!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    nateleducnateleduc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    I've seen people get a NM-1FE-TX to work with a 2610 with maxed memory/flash running the IP FW/VPN/3DES/IDS PLUS image. Definately not supported though. :)

So wait. I have a 2620. Would this work for me?

Not to be thread jacking but this is a glim hope for me that my 2620 isn't useless. just flash it over with a different image after maxing out the ram?
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using them (nm-1fe-tx) on my 2620xm's. No problem there, as they're using the same driver as the internal FE port does.
  • Options
    nateleducnateleduc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mens wrote: »
    I'm using them (nm-1fe-tx) on my 2620xm's. No problem there, as they're using the same driver as the internal FE port does.
    You sir are amazing. I'm using a nm-1fe-tx on my 2600 without any hassle. Booted up and recognized it and everything

• Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    I just bought a NM-1FE-TX for my 2620XM but it makes the router hang up. I am currently running c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d. What IOS should I use?
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I just bought a NM-1FE-TX for my 2620XM but it makes the router hang up. I am currently running c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d. What IOS should I use?

How much DRAM do you have on that router?
  • Options
    It has 128.

I also should have mentioned that it runs fine as long as the NM is not in.
  • Options
    I swore it needed more DRAM to run that IOS version, which is why I went with advsecurity.
  • Options
    I can't verify it because it is at home and I can't SSH to it or do a cdp neighbor detail because it is hung up.

I am pretty sure it is c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d because I followed azaghul's CCNA-V home lab setup and c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d is still in my TFTP directory.

I guess I will need to verify that when I get home. It boots up and runs briefly but hangs before I can get into it.
  • Options
    Trying to find the listing that had the IOS lists with the DRAM requirements, but it's eluding me. Cisco's site can be such a pain.

Found it finally - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin0900aecd802a945e.html

Looks like it's just the 12.4T that required 256D.
  • Options
    Just confirmed the IOS:

System image file is "flash:c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin

As long as I keep the 1FE-TX out it runs fine.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    2600's can be used as an access server with a NM-16A or NM-32A
    Understanding 16- and 32-Port Async Network Modules - Cisco Systems

Thats what I want to use one of mine for.
    Just need to find a decently priced module (have 1 octal cable already)

Note NM-16A/S isn't supported on the 2600's but NM-16A is

NM-16A/S 16-port Network Module [Cisco 3600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

Q. What versions of Cisco IOS® are required to support the NM-16A/S?
    A. NM-16A/S support is included in 12.2(15)ZJ and the first release of 12.3T. All IOS® 12.4 main line and 12.4T releases support the NM-16A/S. The NM-16A/S is supported in all IOS® feature sets.
    Q. Which router models support the NM-16A/S?
    A. The NM-16A/S is supported in the Cisco 2600XM Series, Cisco 2691, Cisco 2811, Cisco 2821, Cisco 2851, Cisco 3631, Cisco 3660, Cisco 3725, Cisco 3745, and Cisco 3800 Series.
    Q. Why isn't the NM-16A/S supported in the 2600 non-XM models, 3620, 3640, or 3640A?
    A. The 2600 non-XM models and the 3620 do not have enough memory capacity to introduce new hardware or software features. Refer to Product Bulletin 1975 for further details (Core Networks - Cisco Systems).

Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server
    Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014