Interface Questions

KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
How do you resolve cloning a HD from IDE To SATA?

Old PC/WKS is using IDE, the new PC/WKS is SATA. Your original OS is installed with IDE interface and all the device is on IDE. How many errors do you think that you might get when you move the cloned HD to SATA interface.

The system will work, but is it worth the time to do it or just install a new image!

What do you think?
Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    What software are you currently using to clone?

How large is the drive?

Is it a business HDD? Or a personal one? If Personal is this to attempt to **** the OEM license for the OS? Just purchase a new OEM license they are inexpensive.

If it is a business....it may be quicker to simply reinstall the OS as the files are likely backed up on a network drive (or probably should be).

But you should be able to transfer the image....are you doing this inside the box? Or are you possibly using a USB device to attach to one drive and transfer the image in that fashion?

What are you currently doing that isn't working?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think that as long as you use a backup solution with hardware independence (e.g., Acronis True Image Echo, Ghost, etc) you should be ok.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    RTmarc wrote:
    I would think that as long as you use a backup solution with hardware independence (e.g., Acronis True Image Echo, Ghost, etc) you should be ok.

Acronis is great and I've had good luck with Ghost, which is why I"m curious what he's running into.....
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a minor issue about SATA CD/DVD Interface will not able to read by Ghost and Other small program, but it work fine on a USB external storage. So, I told my guys to computer the image to the thumb drive, boot from it and work like a charm.

However, there still a little error when you cloned a HD that is IDE and move to SATA HD. A simple fix on the BIOS will work.

It is time to phase out IDE and move them to SATA...

True Image, just don't have the flexibility like Ghost...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn