Options

Anyone use Acronis Imaging Software?

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
I downloaded the trial for home user off their website. I'm backing up a 500GB internal drive to a 500GB external drive (Western Digital). Only about 200GB is used on the internal. I create one full backup and I notice there are about 50 images stored. Talked to my Dad about it and he has 1 image only. Any ideas why I have so many images for 1 full backup? I did it twice to ensure it was a full backup, and it is.

Also all images are the same size.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, tt's an excellent product.

There is an option to specify the maximum size of each image file (so it can fit on CD/DVD, etc). Just leave it as blank or whatever the max option is.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    NTFS v FAT32

Convert the drive to NTFS and you will get one large image file. From memory FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB. Most external drives/USB sticks are FAT32 by default.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    good idea. I can't imagine leaving a 500gb drive as fat32. cluster size would be huge (although for backups like this it doesn't matter) and the risk of corruption... yuck. :)
  • Options
    SWM wrote:
    NTFS v FAT32

Convert the drive to NTFS and you will get one large image file. From memory FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB. Most external drives/USB sticks are FAT32 by default.

Woops forgot about that! Will do when I get home.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Ah yes it worked. I'm shocked it's in FAT32 format. Because of security permissions?

Anyways what do you prefer? Acronis or Ghost?
  • Options
    FAT32 because nearly every computer in the world can read that... less support calls for the manufacturer, they want the customer to just plug in their new USB drive and be able to just use it as is.

As for Acronis vs. Ghost. No preference. Acronis server products used to be much cheaper than Symantec, but there all about the same now (desktop version pricing is always so close anyway). Ever since Symantec bought PowerQuest for the V2I Protector product (what is now Ghost/BESR) I left my dislike for Ghost behind... as did Symantec. ;)