Think I'm ready for a new job...

M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, I do advanced helpdesk support for an ISP, with really no place to get promoted to, I have been here a little over a year and a half and I feel that I have stopped learning and am doing most the work, so I'm ready to move on.

So, I'm A+, Net+, and have my Apple Support Essentials v10.5.

In all honesty, that Apple cert is not worth even mentioning on a resume in my opinion. I only got it because I was offered a dollar raise + reimbursement for getting it.

I'm working on my XP 70-270 to get my MCP atm, which is another one my job would like me to get, and prolly not worth putting on a resume.

Following that, I will get my Security+, then my CCNA.

Currently, with my certs, what does everyone think I should look for and around what wage?
Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?

Comments

• allegianceallegiance Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What country are you in?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    allegiance wrote:
    What country are you in?

and city/region?

Also what type of job role etc
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alaska, USA. I'd prolly prefer to do something where I'd get to play with networks or security, I think I'm just getting tired of tech support.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    M4verick wrote:
    Alaska, USA. I'd prolly prefer to do something where I'd get to play with networks or security, I think I'm just getting tired of tech support.

Try to PM a member named TechJunky and introduce your self. He is out in Alaska somewhere and runs the IT department of his company. Perhaps he knows of an opportunity through his contacts.

It might take a while for him to reply, he is an active member but not on every day as far as I know. His last post was almost 2 weeks ago.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd prolly prefer to do something where I'd get to play with networks or security

You'll probably find you need the experiance and the qualifications for that. Maybe you will want to look at the cisco track for networking and security?

Here is an excellent link to give you a break down for security certs:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27343
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I understand how you feel M4verick, I did a tech support job for about a year, then a helpdesk job for about 2 yrs. After that I was so tired of it and ready to move to the next level. Like you, I am interested in network security. I passed my CCNA and after several months of hunting an interviewing, I was able to get a job as a jr. network engineer. I think that would be the next step for you or something along those lines. After you have a good understanding of network, you can begin to apply the security concepts to it. A benefit for me is that the organization I work for is big in security, so i am getting that exposure indirectly. Good Luck with your studies and job hunting!!
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Putting the Apple cert on your resume is definitely worth mentioning. While it doesn't quite get the same fanfare from an IT department as Linux it still gets some mention and commentary. It'll make you stand out a bit. I have Apple experience on my resume and it has gotten some good comments though I don't think I've interviewed anywhere yet that really uses Apple.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/