Options

70-270 Practice test results

allegianceallegiance Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am a new member on the board as you guys may note icon_lol.gif . I have just completed the practice test and scored 56% I think it was. Now I am considering taking the MCP test soon (within a couple of months). I have only had hands-on experience, haven't read any of the relevent books yet. Is this score bad? icon_redface.gif I feel it is quite low considering. This could be a hard question to answer, but would it be worth going for the test? Is this a usual score for someone who hasn't studied?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What practice test are you using?

Practice tests aren't really the defining picture of your knowledge. Most people overuse practice tests actually. They will do the practice test 50 times until they memorize the answers on them and think they are good to go.

I would make sure you are comfortable with your topics and lab out anything that you can't understand. Using the USMTs is much more defining than just reading about them.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    You taken the test on this site? Altough it is a very well done test You don't have to consider that too much significant, as the same thing You will find in the real exam, those are generally simpler questions than You find in the exam.
    Then a simple hands-on experience on Windows XP is totally insufficient to pass the 70-270, I don't think You have hands-on experience in recovering encrypted files for example.
    Generically, even if this exam is the most lacking in concepts to learn within all the MCS/E progress, there are things which You must learn to go beyond the simple hands-on experience in order to answer many questions.
    At last, 56% is a bad score.

Study hard, do a good practice on the objectives covered and You will pass it.
    Good luck.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums. icon_cool.gif

I think it is a good thing to take a practice exam up front to see where you stand, like a pre-test. Regardless of your score (unless it was mid to high 90's) you should now go buy the Microsoft Press Self Paced Training Kit for 70-270 and spend the next few weeks going through it. The 70-270 catches many off guard because they think they know XP from using it for several years. When in reality, the 70-270 will show you how much you don't know about XP.

Good luck! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Welcome to the forums. icon_cool.gif

I think it is a good thing to take a practice exam up front to see where you stand, like a pre-test. Regardless of your score (unless it was mid to high 90's) you should now go buy the Microsoft Press Self Paced Training Kit for 70-270 and spend the next few weeks going through it. The 70-270 catches many off guard because they think they know XP from using it for several years. When in reality, the 70-270 will show you how much you don't know about XP.

Good luck! :)

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies. That is the exact reason I took the practice test, I just wanted to see where I stood. Thanks for the book reference it will be of much help.

I never expected to be able to pass the test just from using XP (I have however had hands on experience in my job for past 4 years with different O/S's, XP being the main focus.)

Is there any other material you can suggest? Also, how many questions is the test?

One last question, if/when I do pass this test, what would be the next approapriate MCP to go for? I am looking at this from a technical support job/gaining MCSA/MCSE view.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

Practice tests aren't really the defining picture of your knowledge. Most people overuse practice tests actually. They will do the practice test 50 times until they memorize the answers on them and think they are good to go.

I would make sure you are comfortable with your topics and lab out anything that you can't understand. Using the USMTs is much more defining than just reading about them.

I was using the practice test from this site. I think I did fairly well in understanding the test, there where just a few things that I hadn't come across in the hands on use. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    allegiance wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

I was using the practice test from this site. I think I did fairly well in understanding the test, there where just a few things that I hadn't come across in the hands on use. icon_sad.gif

lol Thats a good thing. You can take those topics and hit home on your studies for them. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    allegiance wrote:
    Is there any other material you can suggest? Also, how many questions is the test?

One last question, if/when I do pass this test, what would be the next approapriate MCP to go for? I am looking at this from a technical support job/gaining MCSA/MCSE view.

As far as other material it really depends on your budget. CBTNuggets are very helpful, as they give you the audio/visual training similar to instructor led training in a classroom environment. Then for practice exams, Transcenders are excellent in simulating the MS style and format on the real exam with hands-down the best explanations on why answers are right or wrong.

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=230
    http://www.transcender.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=100500

After 70-270, you'll want to go for 70-290. Then the toughest will be 70-291. Depending on what elective you choose you could either slip that in either right after 290 and before 291, or just wait until after 291.

Just noticed you said MCSA/MCSE. I only posted links for MCSA products, so adjust as necessary if you want MCSE.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Some other free study material stuff available....While they are very similar, I'd recommend both.

1) Technotes from this site.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=540

2) Study guide from Cramsession
    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/products/list-study-guides.asp
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all your replies, it has been very helpful.

One more question (probably on for Australians) does anyone know what places in australia offer the actual exams?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not in Australia (would love to visit sometime) but just check the Prometric.com web site. They will list their test centers.

You might have to register with Prometric first and then follow links to "locate a test center". You can register an account with Prometric without scheduling an exam. Just fill in your name, address, phone, and an email address to get your account set up.