How to start CCNA

indira.j123indira.j123 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Am working as a Automation Tester. Its been nearly 1.4 yrs for now.
But now i want to complete CCNA. Is it possible for me to do it as i have very little knowlegde on networks. i have lost the touch. Could any of you suggest me with sometips.
Thanks.
Thanks & Regards,
Indira J

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Buy a few books, Wendell Odoms ccna study guide and todd lammeles book seem to be the most popular choice. Odoms is an excellent book. CCNA is an entry level cert so it breaks everything down nicely but is no walk in th epark for an entry cert. I would also recommend getting some hands on experiance - This enforces the theory very well. I would recommend real equipment if you have never touched the stuff before but you could get by on a simulator. I prefer the real deal.

Or if you dont feel comfortable reading from a book you can do the ccna academy which is taught at local uni's/colleges. Obviously for a fee. But if you dont feel ready for the ccna it maybe worth while doing some entry level certs like a+/network+.

The cisco doc cd is an excellent resource too.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Indira.j123,

If you feel you lack some knowledge on networks, I would personally suggest you start with Network+. This will give you a foundational knowledge on topics such as Cables, Connectors, IP addressing, Subnetting, etc... which in the Cisco world is very important. I'm not sure where your experience level is, but as the old adage goes... "you gotta crawl before you walk". Hope this helps.

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • indira.j123indira.j123 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I want to change from software testing to network testing. I will take your suggessions and take up network+.
    Could u provide me some materials or links on that... ???
    Is it possible to finish it within a month?
    Thanks.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Indira J
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah you could probably get it done within a month if you put in the work. but as its your first networking cert it will be best not to rush it and learn as much as possible from it.

Check out the network+ forum:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

You will find technotes from this site (which are V.Good). and if you search through the posts you will find many book recommendations etc.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • indira.j123indira.j123 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thanks a lot..
    Thanks & Regards,
    Indira J