Options

question about 3640's and max flash/mem 40/256mb ? Anyone?

viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have searched the cisco kb and docs for a answer but have found none.
most docs say max for 3640 is 32mb flash and 128 mem. Thats what I have now on my 3 3640's. Some ios images for 3640's have flash req of 40/192-256? I'm guessing that the 40 flash comes from the rare and expensive 40mb pcmcia flash card. but the extra ram? will 3640 take 64mb sticks of ram? Do you need a bios upgrade chip? Has anyone done this? Probably is a waste of time anyway as I bet it would only matter for ISP use which this platform is to slow and old for anyway but if I can get it cheap than its worth a try.

Anyone know where to get the cheap larger type pcmcia flash cards for 36xx series other than ebay?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    virusc wrote:
    Hi,

I have searched the cisco kb and docs for a answer but have found none.
    most docs say max for 3640 is 32mb flash and 128 mem. Thats what I have now on my 3 3640's. Some ios images for 3640's have flash req of 40/192-256? I'm guessing that the 40 flash comes from the rare and expensive 40mb pcmcia flash card. but the extra ram? will 3640 take 64mb sticks of ram? Do you need a bios upgrade chip? Has anyone done this? Probably is a waste of time anyway as I bet it would only matter for ISP use which this platform is to slow and old for anyway but if I can get it cheap than its worth a try.

Anyone know where to get the cheap larger type pcmcia flash cards for 36xx series other than ebay?

thanks

Hi,

I sold my 2 3640 routers and buy 2600xm routers, max memory for 3640 are 128/32, also they not support the latest 12.4 IOS (exactly c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-16.bin) check here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33485 , i added a external flash and nothing, if you want buy a pcmcia flash cards you can buy the one for the 1600 series routers, i got one and it worked very good.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hi,
    thanks elegua for info but I still can't believe that when I log on to my cisco account for downloading IOS images for 3640 platform and it comes up with many new just released images that say 40/192 that they all are wrong. The one problem I have is that I don't have a 40mb card for testing.

To sum it all up are you sure that the 100 or so new images that are listed are all wrong? Why would they build a image for 3640's for them to not work. Maybe it is limited release images only for ISP's and such. Does your account show many 12.4 images as 40/192 ? like mine?

thanks
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Cisco have been wrong before.

All the 12.4 images I can see on the site have a maximum RAM of 128MB and a maximum flash of 32MB. What IOS file are you trying to load anyway?
  • Options
    I can't find any that have the requirements you listed?
  • Options
    I can't find the ones that had 192mb.But they were there 5-6 months ago. They seem to be removed. Some of the 40mb flash ios's are still there, here is two

c3640-a3jk9s-mz.124-10c.bin Minimum Memory: DRAM:128MB Flash:40MB
    c3640-jk9s-mz.124-10c.bin Minimum Memory: DRAM:128MB Flash:40MB

well I guess it does not matter now that they are no longer listed. I do have special account so maybe they were limited and were pulled but I am not making this up or mistaken. I asked a few of my CCIE/NP's coworkers about the larger than listed req but they could not figure out at the time how to get more than128dram installed into 3640's and I was in no rush as I was not studying for BSCI at the time so I let it go.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I wouldn't worry about flash to much since you can store the ios on a tftp server.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    virusc wrote:
    I can't find the ones that had 192mb.But they were there 5-6 months ago. They seem to be removed. Some of the 40mb flash ios's are still there, here is two

c3640-a3jk9s-mz.124-10c.bin Minimum Memory: DRAM:128MB Flash:40MB
    c3640-jk9s-mz.124-10c.bin Minimum Memory: DRAM:128MB Flash:40MB

well I guess it does not matter now that they are no longer listed. I do have special account so maybe they were limited and were pulled but I am not making this up or mistaken. I asked a few of my CCIE/NP's coworkers about the larger than listed req but they could not figure out at the time how to get more than128dram installed into 3640's and I was in no rush as I was not studying for BSCI at the time so I let it go.
    Ah. I didn't search all the way back to 12.4.10. Weird that there aer 3 images listed needing 40MB of flash. Its probably a mistake by Cisco though on those if it is just flash. They admitted to messing up some others which needed more than 32MB.
  • Options
    thanks kryolla
    Didn't think of using TFTP.

Feel stupid that I didn't think of that from the start.