Options

Network Attached storage advice

EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im looking to implement a NAS device in our company's infrastructure and wanted to know if any one recommends a particular model or brand.

We developed a simple web base app using PERL and MYSQL and would like the NAS to be a repository for some PDF's that would be uploaded and also make it possible for users to access these files through a network drive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Mmm, NetApp...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    HeroPsycho is right, filers are yummy
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    At my current job, we've been using Buffalo TeraStation NAS devices. They're decent, relatively easy to configure, and have AD integration. They're worth a look. There are lots of other choices out there, so check out sites like CDW, and the like, to see what you can find with good reviews from customers.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Speaking of Netapp, I'm currently setting up SnapManager and SnapDrive for Exchange 2007. Tomorrow I'll be doing SnapMirror. Cool stuff. Netapp is pretty nice.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah the snapshot add-ins for Exchange/SQL/etc are really nice. I have a much stronger background in EMC, but for small shops I would recommend NetApp over them (everything is just so easy to implement and understand) and HDS TagmaStore's for the big ones over DMX's. Kinda sad isn't it...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    NetApp or a Snap Server from Adaptec. We have been using an older Snap Server here for years and it's been a good little filer for archive storage.
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    At my current job, we've been using Buffalo TeraStation NAS devices. They're decent, relatively easy to configure, and have AD integration. They're worth a look. There are lots of other choices out there, so check out sites like CDW, and the like, to see what you can find with good reviews from customers.

Thanks Slowhand, I actually printed out the manual for the TeraStation NAS prior to reading your post. I like its ease of use and integration with AD. Were just looking for a simple (AKA Cheap) and I think this may be it. How are theyholding up at your job?
  • Options
    TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Can some help me with NAS share folder permission, I have adeptec snap server 410 and created share for my accounting department, I have assigned flowing permissions

Share name: Accounting

Share permission NTFS permission
    Accounting group = full control Accounting group = full controll

This works fine for the accounting group they can delete/modify folders and sub folders

Here is the problem, I need to give access one of the subfolders in the accounting share a user from the marketing department, this what I done

Share permission accounting share NTFS permission accounting share
    Username: jsmith = full controll Username: jsmith = read

Sub folder name Sales NTFS permission

Username: jsmith = modify

The issue is when the user tries to write or change docs in this sub folder he gets access denied
    he read but can not change.

Can some one clarify this for me, I have been reading adaptec documentation on permissions using Guardian OS but steal not clear about how to set permission in mixed mode shared v NTFS
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Claymoore wrote:
    NetApp or a Snap Server from Adaptec. We have been using an older Snap Server here for years and it's been a good little filer for archive storage.

We have 2 Snap Server 4500's where I work and they have been nothing but trouble since we got them. The Snapshots caused all sorts of problem and had to be shut off, the permissions get messed up on a daily basis... Just not with the same person each day... We have a couple tickets in that have never been solved. Maybe we got 2 bad models, but, I'm not really impressed.

We also have 2 Terrastation's used for archiving purposes only, so they don't go through the intensive use that the Snaps do, but so far they have been 100% reliable. And who can argue with the price? Hmmm, except maybe going with openfiler or something :)

And then there is NetApp... We had no problems what so ever with our NetApp Filer, it was awesome, but it is more expensive. The biggest expense was the yearly maintenance which is why we switched.... This is just my experience, obviously with all things computers, mileage varies.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Can some help me with NAS share folder permission, I have adeptec snap server 410 and created share for my accounting department, I have assigned flowing permissions

Share name: Accounting

Share permission NTFS permission
    Accounting group = full control Accounting group = full controll

This works fine for the accounting group they can delete/modify folders and sub folders

Here is the problem, I need to give access one of the subfolders in the accounting share a user from the marketing department, this what I done

Share permission accounting share NTFS permission accounting share
    Username: jsmith = full controll Username: jsmith = read

Sub folder name Sales NTFS permission

Username: jsmith = modify

The issue is when the user tries to write or change docs in this sub folder he gets access denied
    he read but can not change.

Can some one clarify this for me, I have been reading adaptec documentation on permissions using Guardian OS but steal not clear about how to set permission in mixed mode shared v NTFS

The Snap Servers are based off of a *nix OS. So you are mixing NTFS with the Snap OS permissions really.... It seems to me that we had to give all users Full control on the share with the Snap permissions then use NTFS to filter it out from there.
  • Options
    TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Thanks Megadeth4168 for your quick response, I changed shared permission to full in the snap server and NTFS to modify but steal getting ACL error, when user tries to create folder, will investigate more.

thanks
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    EJizzel wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

Thanks Slowhand, I actually printed out the manual for the TeraStation NAS prior to reading your post. I like its ease of use and integration with AD. Were just looking for a simple (AKA Cheap) and I think this may be it. How are theyholding up at your job?
    The TeraStations are doing pretty well, actually. I had some bad experiences with the LinkStations, from my days of working retail tech, but the more business-oriented TeraStations are pretty solid. I'd definitely recommend them as an affordable NAS, very reliable and durable for the price you pay.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.