Options

Preparing for the ICND1/CCENT

2727 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I'll be going on a 5 day training course for the ICND1 between 23 and 27 June.
I want to buy a book to prepare me so that I am familiar with the material before the course.

Can anyone tell me the difference between this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCENT-Official-Certification-640-822-640-802/dp/1587201828

and this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interconnecting-Cisco-Network-Devices-ICND1/dp/1587054620

The second one seems to cover the CCENT and CCNA. However, there is also an ICND2 book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interconnecting-Cisco-Network-Devices-ICND2/dp/1587054639

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The first two books are, in essence, the same. The difference is that the official study guide is meant to be a textbook, usually for a classroom environment, while the other is written to be a self-study guide you'd buy if you were going to study on your own. Now, that doesn't mean the official study guide can't be used for self-study and the self-study guide can't be used as a textbook, it's just Cisco Press' idea of how they think the world should work. Both books cover the same topics, usually in slightly different ways, so they're not a bad complement to each other. My advice, go to a bookstore and page through each one, see which seems like a better read to you, and pick up that one.

Incidentally, almost every certification Cisco offers has a set of books like this: a self-study guide and an official study guide. You'll be seeing the pattern a lot, if you continue working on Cisco certs after CCENT. And remember, ICND1 and ICND2, together, comprise the full CCNA. So a book that covers one of the exams would only cover half the CCNA certification. (Unless you pick up a book that covers the 640-802 exam, which would include just about everything from ICND1 and ICND2.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    The first two books are, in essence, the same. The difference is that the official study guide is meant to be a textbook, usually for a classroom environment, while the other is written to be a self-study guide you'd buy if you were going to study on your own. Now, that doesn't mean the official study guide can't be used for self-study and the self-study guide can't be used as a textbook, it's just Cisco Press' idea of how they think the world should work. Both books cover the same topics, usually in slightly different ways, so they're not a bad complement to each other. My advice, go to a bookstore and page through each one, see which seems like a better read to you, and pick up that one.

In your opinion, which is better suited to self study?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i really enjoyed reading the wendell odom books, the sybex ccna guide by todd lammle is great also and a good second source
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    i really enjoyed reading the wendell odom books

Self Study Guide or Exam Certification Guide?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Personally, I liked the official study guides better than the self-study guides, but that was more a preference of how they were written. I also read Todd Lammle's book, (but I read the one for 640-801,) which was an enjoyable read. I also gave a mini-overview of what other books I looked at for the exam in this thread, which might be helpful for you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Personally, I liked the official study guides better than the self-study guides, but that was more a preference of how they were written. I also read Todd Lammle's book, (but I read the one for 640-801,) which was an enjoyable read. I also gave a mini-overview of what other books I looked at for the exam in this thread, which might be helpful for you.

Thanks for that.
    I'm leaning towards the ICND1 Self Study Guide at this time.
    I'll probably order it within a few hours.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I've ordered the ICND1 Self Study Guide.