Options

Technical questions for net system admin..

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
This is my first time hiring a system administrator and I was curious if anyone here has any test questions that they would be willing to share to ask a potential candidate.

The owner dropped this on me really late between all my other projects... IE: today and we are interviewing someone tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WHat does the job entail? WHat are the requirements? We could tell you to ask him if he's ever been to the moon, but if going to the moon shows that he does not meet the requirements of the job, then what good is it?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you could ask him about scenarios in a "what would you do" kind of thing which are related to his job duties. i..e if he will be using exchange and he claims to know it, ask him what he would do to recover from a db crash.

This was just an easy example but i think you get the point im trying to make.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Also if you dont have alot of technical questions I would recommend asking about his/her ability to handle high pressure situations, past experiences in these areas and try and determine their problem solving abilities... Knowing extremely technical things doesnt always mean they have a logical way of dealing with them once they break :)

In any case, hopefully you get someone good... Take care!
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When trying to gauge their experience don't ask a question that can be answered with yes or no, ask for examples of how they have used the technologies they claim to have experience with on their resume. If presenting scenarios try to be thought provoking, you want to see how they go about problem solving not just if they read the manual.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Joel (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/GuerrillaInterviewing3.html) has some great stuff on this. It's targeted at software developers but the ideas carry through to any tech job. Follow the links to previous posts of his, he touches on just about the entire process of hiring someone.