Options

Dude this test

brettadkinsbrettadkins Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
was harder than I thought!!! I passed with a 700, But i gues passing is all that matters. lol I think im gonna do 70-271,and 70-272, then 70-290,70-291. Hopefully This being my first MS exam things will get better. :D

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and welcome to the forums. :)

What did you use to prepare for the exam?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

I just passed this test yesterday as well.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congrats, Any one taken the 710-620 vista exam i heard it was easier than the 270 exam?
  • Options
    i mean 70-620.... he he
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    cutting it pretty close, eh? congrats.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Well done!

You taking the MCDST next? You looking to gain this cert or use it as an elective towards a MSCA or MSCE? As i dont believe it can be used as an elective for MCSE last time i checked....

Just asking as there may be a better way for you to do this. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    well for the mcdst, and its just to have the cert so I can later upgrade for the vista version. I am going to be using my A+, and Network+ as my elective. And when im ready for MCSE ill take the security+,or 70-282 (small business). Im still failry new to the certs and what not.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Brett,

I am not sure why people have such a hard time on this test (and that includes myself).

The vista exam is certainly easier. I have a question, though. Why are getting your certs? To get a better job, required by your current employer, to get a raise?

I ask because I have NEVER had a single person with whom I interviewed comment upon or ask about the MCDST cert I have. If you are looking for an entry level cert I think the MCP on XP and the MCTS Vista Config are what HR people know about. Many do not know that the "MCP" for Vista is now called the MCTS, anyway.

My point is this: MCSA is not, strictly speaking, an entry level cert. But many HR people know it and respect it. I would suggest that you put your time and money into the MCSA and the MCTS Vista and NOT the MCDST. Your return on investment will be better and, unless you are new to the IT field, you will benefit more from the preparation for the MCSA than you would for the MCDST or the MCITP Enterprise Support.

I learned a lot preparing for the MCDST, but I was a novice technician back then. If you were able to pass the 70-270 and you have been working in the IT field for 6 months or more, go for the MCSA next. If you have little or no work experience then the MCDST -> MCITP Enterprise Support might be the best choice.

At over $100 per exam, I would consider your RoI for any certification test your take.
  • Options
    Hey, I forgot, congratulations. Like I said in my previous post, this is not an easy exam! Very broad range of knowledge required.
  • Options
    Robert, thanks for the info. I am new to IT and not. See i am in the national guard and do this work, It just happens that i finally got a job where i can gain more experience, and my pay is based on my certs, or lack there of so the more certs and knowledge (degree) the more money. I really enjoy this field. The MCDST cert was because I have seen that it pretty much a stroll down easy street once you pass 70-270 and with the second shot MS was offering I decided to jump on it. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    I should also metion that I DID not use any braindumps. Unlike some people in my job where certs=money. I really wanted to learn this stuff. MCSA is on the list as well as some more networking stuff. My employer will start supporting/dealing with Juniper networks so after the MS stuff Thats where ill be next.
  • Options
    az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the section of this exam dealing with installs to be a bit outdated.

I'm curious.....How many working IT professionals are using the techniques needed to pass this exam in their workplace?
  • Options
    I got hammered with SysPrep questions when I took the 270. At the time I had never used it.

I have always found the knowledge tested to be applicable to my work. However, I find many of the questions to be contrived. It is like the took an answer and developed a question around it and didn't care if the question was realistic or not. The new MS exams suffer from that alot less.