Options

Share Folder

Hi,

In order to share a folder, does it have to be on NTFS partition only?

Thanks,
Banderas

Comments

• Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    no, you can share folders on a FAT volume, however you do not get the granularity of permissions as you would do with NTFS. you still can restrict users with permissions but you only have read, change and full control.

NTFS gives you many more, the mosted noticed is the fact it uses "Modify" instead of change. be careful with permissions they can kick you if you dont know how they work!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second that. Make sure you understand permissions backwards and forwards before you attempt the 270 & 290 exams.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    wedge1988 wrote:
    no, you can share folders on a FAT volume, however you do not get the granularity of permissions as you would do with NTFS. you still can restrict users with permissions but you only have read, change and full control.

NTFS gives you many more, the mosted noticed is the fact it uses "Modify" instead of change. be careful with permissions they can kick you if you dont know how they work!
    I know how does Modify Permission work on NTFS but how does Change Permission work on Fat?
    What does it do?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

In order to share a folder, does it have to be on NTFS partition only?

Thanks,
    Banderas

Hello Banderas1978,

I have noticed that you have posted the last 28 threads in the 270 forum. Im not tying to be a jerk, BUT may I suggest that you try a few things that will most likely get your answer faster than asking the boards; as I have seen that most questions have gone unanswered:

1. Check out the technotes HERE
    2. Purchase the MS PRESS Book
    3. Google is also helpful to find some basic stuff, including the MS white pages.

we are all for helping you out, but have a look at these resources first.

good luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second snadam here. Technotes and the MS Press books are pure gold, worth every cent you paid for them and more.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I'll second snadam here. Technotes and the MS Press books are pure gold, worth every cent you paid for them and more.

and the best part, TECHNOTES ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security