Options

Thank you letter.

AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
Hello all,

I had a great interview a week ago... i felt like i went well.. the guy that brought me in for the interview said i was in the top 5 out of 75 candidates... the position is really great.. they would pay for my continuing education working on my bachelors.. I'm not sure whether i should write a thank you letter or not... if so any advice on how to start it? thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    Hello all,
    I'm not sure whether i should write a thank you letter or not...

If you live in Europe, dont write a thank you letter as this is seen as a deperate kiss ass ploy to get a job.If however you live in the US go for it, the US interviewers love to feel important.
    Something along the line of, thank you sir/madam for spending your precious time to see little old me.I know you desperately need an IT person to keep your network ticking but thanks again for letting me inconvenience you.

I hate thank you letters! icon_evil.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would generally recommend a little bit more detail than Ed recommends. Pick a topic or two to write a couple sentences about so that it shows that you were listening. It doesn't even have to be related to the job, such as if they told you that they were going to see the ball game on Sunday then tell them that you hoped that they had fun. Mention how excited you are about the position. Thank them for taking the time to talk with you about it. Remind them that you are always available to be contacted at such-and-such phone number or e-mail address if they had anymore questions or comments. Don't make it too long but don't keep it too short. And always, always, always, spellcheck and proof for grammar when you are done. You don't want any slip-ups there as it will be more damaging than if you hadn't sent a thank you letter.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    so yeah im from the US.. San diego to be specific. thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    EdTheLad wrote:
    If you live in Europe, dont write a thank you letter as this is seen as a deperate kiss ass ploy to get a job.If however you live in the US go for it, the US interviewers love to feel important.

0 points for generalizations with no evidence. I don't see how a thank-you letter can hurt your chances of getting a job, regardless of your geographic location.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    woo hooo!!! i just wrote a email and got a call back within hours... the down side is its part II of the interview...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    woo hooo!!! i just wrote a email and got a call back within hours...
    That should make everyone looking for a job who's not sending out thank you letters to rethink things...

Congrats, good luck on "part II"
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I used to be one of those guys who never sent thank you letters. I'm really glad I changed my tune for it definitely turns a charm!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915

Dear HR Goon,

Thank you for being so disingenuous in our interview on Thursday and giving me the opportunity to hear you talk about your company and your experience working here and making chit-chat about your great family and your weekend plans. Your phony smile and slightly condescending attitude has made me glad to be part of interviewing with Penetrode Corp.

Going forward, I would like the opportunity to schedule yet another pointless interview, at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Some "geeky IT Guy" you just summarized in your head and weeded out of a job, despite the fact that you are a huge tool who drank his way out of three state colleges and knows nothing about technology.[/quote]