Options

What problems are you having with studying for core exam?

bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
i had great problems learning laser printers.

what are you struggling with?
A+ Moderator
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    pacopaco Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My main problems are cpu's and which sockets they use along with motherboard diagrams.
  • Options
    Rochelle JohnsonRochelle Johnson Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am having the darndest time
    remembering the cable connections. Female/Male DB connectors, how many pins and what goes with what. Can anyone offer any suggestions? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Jason at www.mcmcse.com just released a Cables and Connector tutorial which might be useful.
  • Options
    Rochelle JohnsonRochelle Johnson Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Webmaster. I went to the tutorial and was very pleased with the information at that site. Thank You Thank You.......I hope to take the test before the end of the month. I will be staying in touch with the forum as much as I can, studying you know :)
  • Options
    Your very welcome, just let me know if you're struggling with anything else. :D
  • Options
    CAME064CAME064 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the hardest time remembering which port connector has how many pins...and male, female...which ones which etc etc...I know all of this stuff but dont look at cable connectors except to plug them in where they go...I just know where they go on the outside of the system and the inside but cant remember the specifics...for example its like driving down the same street all the time but not knowing the street name...

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always messed up remembering the silly things - like IRQ numbers against available IRQ numbers - that sort of thing.
    Laser printers were a mystery until I has a labs session and pulled one to bits - then the cycle was a lot easier to understand. icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    PaulSPaulS Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm absolutely useless at remembering speeds of processors, etc... and bus widths.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ]
    I failed the A+ core hardware by 2 or 3 questions. I had trouble on SCSI, what do you need to know on SCSI for the A+? Also alot of the troubleshooting questions were down to hands on experience, that you cannot revice this, and when looking at the options on multiple choice every answer seems to be right to me but obviously some are wrong.
    any suggestions?
  • Options
    As for the Sockets and CPUs check out my other post here:

www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124
  • Options
    For those struggling with laser printers there's a TechNote about printers here.
  • Options
    BlazerAKBlazerAK Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take the A+ Core TOMORROW! icon_eek.gif I just found this site, it was great with questions I'd not done before. Thanks All!
  • Options
    tell us how you get on. we are behind you all the way. good luck.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    mah9470mah9470 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may sound like a silly question to ask, but does anyone know where I can get printouts of the different types of motherboards? I am studying to take my A+ hardware exam. Any other tips would be appretiated.

:D

Michael
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm having the most problem finding consistent info on max cable lengths.
    I know: thinnet=185m
    thicknet=500m
    cat5=100m

These are the questionable ones:
    usb=5m
    serial=50ft
    rs232=25ft (isn't that the same as serial)
    parallel=6ft

Does anyone have a definitive answer for cable lengths, maybe a website for the Computer Cabling Board of America (yes, I made that up).
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • Options
    ejhookerejhooker Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    are there any suggestions for memorizing irq's
    and other memorizable items? my main problem is that my a+ vocabulary is terrible but if you tell me to perform a hand on task i'm untouchable.
  • Options
    KittyfresitaKittyfresita Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me the hardest topic was remembering the sockets and slots for different processors. I remember when taking practice tests I usually failed those questions related to slots and sockets. But I think you must study everything because you don't know the questions that you will get on the exam.
    Be sure to know the laser printing process, that a must on the exam.
    Good luck to all !! :)
    MCP, A+,Network+, MCSA, Security+, ITIL Foundations
    "And in the end, the love you take
    is equal to the love we made..."
  • Options
    oldgearheadoldgearhead Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think a lot of the serial cable length answers, are
    safe opinions not fact. I have ran serial RS-485/422 copper line over
    4000 feet with no problems and no 'short haul modems'.
    If course the 'host in this case was a PLC not a PC.

Many years ago, in Canada, I installed two serial printers 2000
    feet from the host, using RS-422. But this was with a mini-
    computer (CA Naked Mini), running Centronics serial printers
    not a PC. Back then, this was normal practice, and the printers had
    large print buffers. These devices were much slower and more robust than a PC.

If you need to extend a PC serial line there is lots of
    hardware available that will make it possible. I would
    suggest either a 'short haul modem' or a pair of RS232/422
    converters.

old icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    baderIRQbaderIRQ Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had alot of problem studing printers, socket, SCSI, IDE, slave and master also primary and secondery
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    did have problem with remebering the bus speads and the cpu types and sockets
    but did not get any question on them except for the socket

thanks
  • Options
    yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SCSI Cable lengths and network cable!

For memorizing IRQ's, take them two at a time. Add two more, until you can say all 4. And when you can say all of them, carry them on a note card and review them every so often.

All Pentium processors left 32 bit data buses behind.

Twisted pair of stars, Coax me to ride the bus, a ring of fiber optics.
    (My own stupid mnemonic device)

for POST errors--SMKFCHN
    System, memory, keyboard, floppy, cmos, hard drive, network (Never seen a post error question where the answer was network, so I'm gray on this one) but my mnemonic device here is SMACK for coming home naked.
    Silly, but it works for me on the practice exams.

I'll take any help learning SCSI Cable lengths. I understand terminating and the 1 IRQ thing and addressing, but I cannot get the cable limitations down, becuase there are so doggone many types and I can't seem to get a grouping on them that makes sense to me.

For IO memory ,
    com1odd number matches,
    com2even number matches
    com3odd number matches,
    com4even number matches,
    then the alphabet goes backwards. so it's com 1 is 3f8, com2 is 2f8, com3 is 3e8, and com4 is 2e8.
    Makin' it happen regardless...
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    To inject this tidbit for those struggling with the laser printing process:

CCWDTF = "Can Cathy Write Down The Facts?"

Cleaning = Clean drum with cleaning lamp & blades
    Charging = Charge drum (Primary Corona) to prepare for:
    Writing = Image is drawn onto drum with laser
    Developing = Toner applies itself to drum
    Transferring = Toner transferred to positively charged paper (Transfer Corona)
    Fusing = Toner heated, melts resin, fuses to paper

Some references will put the cleaning cycle last rather than first..just be sure to understand that after fusing come cleaning, and after cleaning comes charging. Primary=first, Primary corona comes before transfer corona.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    ForgottenForgotten Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SCSI drives me nuts. Urghhhh.............
  • Options
    here's something on scsi that may help some

http://www.examnotes.net/forums/default.php?ind=61
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    nicknamenickname Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with mah9470... the motherboard diagrams I've seen on the final sign off tests I've been taking ( I take the big test on Friday) are simply horrible! Very fuzzy and impossible to identify a lot of the components on it. Are the diagrams on the actual test easier to identify? I know my boards well, but I had lots of trouble figuring out what and where the components were. Any way you can see what they look like on the test? I'm not sure how much of the test is going to be 'point and shoot' and I'm afraid if the diagrams are as bad as I've experienced I'll screw up on them. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Nope - the graphics on the test when I took it last year looked like something a kid with crayons would draw ... lol
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    This might seem unfair, I think it actually is a bit unfair, but I've seen, and had to work with worse coming from experienced LAN/WAN engineers, IT managers who think they can do it and even diagrams on paper used to blow your nose ;)

Anyone contacted CompTIA about this? Would be nice to hear their side...
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I didnt get any of those questions when I sat for OS. I did have to locate something on a motherboard, but it was a line drawing.

But given that you are asked to locate something of the sort, I would think anyone should be able to correctly locate, say a DIMM slot, CPU socket, AGP slot, etc, etc just from knowing the orientation of the board.

Just doesnt seem that difficult to me.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Yes I understand many have contacted Comptia - af course to no avail.

You would think that with progs like Visio around and things like digital cameras that there would be absolutely no need for substandard diagrams/graphics.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Yes that is typical CompTIA...
    You would think that with progs like Visio around and things like digital cameras that there would be absolutely no need for substandard diagrams/graphics.

True, but when you sit at a meeting, things often go on a scratch of paper. Large companies often have people for the job of turning such into a visio. But aside from that I don't see any point in using vague drawings and pictures in an exam. They should have a look at Cisco exams...