Options

What problems are you having with studying for core exam?

Comments

• Options
    nicknamenickname Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Never mind. I lucked out and didn't get one diagram and passed with a 1012. I hope I'm that lucky on the OS test..... icon_exclaim.gif:D
  • Options
    zeekabalzeekabal Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i alreday passed ,y A+ exams but man the printers really pressed on my nerves they cant be studied speacially the laser ones.
  • Options
    ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im not sure if i posted this before> but Im having trouble with memorizing processor's mainly from pentium beyond....info such as data bus, address bus...speeds? It just dont stick in my head icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    cb6000cb6000 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably the IRQs, I/Os, DMAs, etc.
  • Options
    techie dyketechie dyke Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm having one heck of a time with printers. I kinda get the jist of the other parts. I'm to write my A+ Hardware exam on the 20th or 21st of this month, so I have a little time left to learn what I need to figure out. Yesterday, the class I'm in started working on the Networking chapter some more. I was totally clueless when we went through this chapter the first time around, but I think I'm actually understanding it now.

I think I'm glad that they have changed the format of the exam. The only thing that cheeses me off about it is that you only need like 51.8% to pass the exam now, as opposed to the 80%. I think that in our field that you should know 80% of what you're doing. Mediocracy just doesn't fly in our field. icon_rolleyes.gif

*sigh*

Lori :D
  • Options
    jchahnjchahn Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was having a really hard time w/ the laser printer stuff. I bought the sybex A+ complete 2nd edition. It all makes since after reading that. The book has each component explained separately w/ pictures, and then a detailed explanation of how they work together. I had to read over some of it 2 or 3 times to absorb it, but it all makes sense now. I do think, however, that it would have been easier if I had just taken apart a laser printer and had someone tell me what each part was and what it does. I remember hands on stuff much faster than stuff I've read.
  • Options
    MgzMgz Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always have problem with LASER printer and the IRQ,COM,I/O address. It is very hard to memorize that "thing" icon_eek.gif . And also the 3 rows # pin and such. Just give me the REAL thing I'll say it right away. How the hell I remember how many pins it has ? icon_sad.gif because I'm a hardware enthusaist and have MUCH hardware experience.(have a sister that ALWAYS messes up the computer also HELP A LOT icon_rolleyes.gif ) . About CPU socket, port,mainboard,ram etc I am well prepared. :)

I aslo want to take Security+ because I used to be a script kiddies :D
  • Options
    DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    for those of you having trouble with laser printers:

Unless you are going to work for a printer manufacturer, the only parts of the printer you will be servicing is replacing toner cartridges and or photoelectric drums. Most of the time the drums are built into the toner cartridges. Don't sweat it. IF you really need to know more, there is an awesome tutorial at:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice to see you here DaPunnisher i answer all of the questions you post, really suggets suscribe there, they give you questions everyday about A+ and that also helped me icon_wink.gif
    Formule One Racing Addict...
  • Options
    MwgamerMwgamer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slots,sockets and pins are killing me. Im good on the latest pentium stuff its the early issues that are driving me insane!

Oh one thing to help with remembering the order of laser printer operation. California Cows Wont Dance The Fandango.

Cleaning,Conditioning,Writing, Developing,Transferring and Fusing.

I remember a is before o with remember california and cows, which is cleaning comes before conditioning. You need to know more on them I guess but this helps with getting the order right.

Dummys A+ book is where I gleamed this information from.
  • Options
    istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am having mad problems trying to remember the different sockets and stuff. I don't know exactly how I'ma cram all of this information into my brain for the exam. icon_eek.gif
    Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.
  • Options
    sabbiesabbie Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am having the utmost trouble with 1/0 adresses, just can't seem to get it in my head.
  • Options
    outlawoutlaw Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ejhooker wrote:
    are there any suggestions for memorizing irq's
    and other memorizable items? my main problem is that my a+ vocabulary is terrible but if you tell me to perform a hand on task i'm untouchable.
    .'

use this method,
    irq0===sweet (system timer)
    irq1
    karen(key board}
    irq 2
    ate(available)
    irq3
    cornflakes(com1)
    irq4
    chocolate(com2)
    irq5
    hard(hard disck controller)
    irq6
    floppy
    irq7
    lolly pop(ltp1)

with this way u cant forget it again,but u need to know this is for the 8 bit bus and not the ISA bus with 15 irq and 8 dma channels.

let me know if this has helped u,cos i am preparing for this exams by the end of august.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Just take our DMA IRQ I/O quiz over and over until you memorized them all:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/co_apluscore.shtml
  • Options
    rebecca_rogers99rebecca_rogers99 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the IRQ's and I/O address and ports down pack, My problem is with the DMA's. I took the practice exam here on this web site and didn't get a single DMA question correct. When I looked in my book that I have it only gave a brief discussion (one paragraph) on the subject. How would I be able to remember the DMA's?
  • Options
    berven2berven2 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hi! I'm struggling with what RAID is, virual memory as well
    as what parity is etc etc.
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to study better?
  • Options
    nathanamthornathanamthor Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm having the worst time keeping track of I/O addresses, DMA and IRQ settings, and specs on old x86 systems. The irony is I have quite a bit of field experience and have never had to use any of this information. I have a feeling that the reason we have to know this stuff is because some test designer is sitting there saying, "well, I had to learn this stuff, so you do too." how juvenile. I'm sure knowing the external bus width of a 486DX will really be useful someday.
  • Options
    nathanamthornathanamthor Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the IRQ's and I/O address and ports down pack, My problem is with the DMA's. I took the practice exam here on this web site and didn't get a single DMA question correct. When I looked in my book that I have it only gave a brief discussion (one paragraph) on the subject. How would I be able to remember the DMA's?

Are you talking about DMA/UDMA modes or channels? Either way, the best way I've been able to study for those is to learn to associate them with the appropriate devices or architecture.
  • Options
    ladylabladylab Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have trouble with printers,remembering motherboards & sockects
    can someone guide me to what websites might be great to study
  • Options
    citacita Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm havin problems remembering connectors and networking!
    I've lots of revision notes but it just wont stay in! icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    not4surecanot4sureca Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is something I have put together with various research and helps me big time to remember the irq's hope it helps you guy's out I am writing my A+ core this Friday wish me luck
      IRQ Device Ways to Remember
      0 System Timer - Looks like a watch
      1 Keyboard - 1st input device
      2 open/video - Interlace draws screen twice
      3 Com 2/4 - 3 is between 2+4
      4 Com 1/3 - 1+3=4
      5 Sound Card - Try to remember something by itself
      6 Floppy - F is 6th letter of alphabet, 6 letters in floppy
      7 printer - lucky 7, you are lucky to own a printer

8 system real time clock - Like 2 watches must be the real time
      9 redirect to 2
      10 NIC - 1's and 0's over the internet
      11 Available
      12 PS/2 - 12 looks like /2 for PS/2
      13 math coprocessor - unlucky 13-have to do math
      14 Primary IDE
      15 Secondary IDE
      If you can add to this please do and if something is off please edit this post

Still looking for a way to easily remember that damn cpu crap

Sorry I tried to get this to go in a list format but couldn't figure it out someone please edit for me thanks
    • Options
      GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
      Wow, Not bad. I would have found that useful when I was studying for the A+. Heh.

Gawd
    • Options
      Yeah nice list. Personally I would have more problems remembering the 'ways to remember' than the IRQs but I'm sure some will find it useful.
      8 system real time clock - Like 2 watches must be the real time
      Nice one icon_thumright.gif
    • Options
      paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
      Great Cabling Site Webmaster! Thanks for all of the help you provide.
      Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
    • Options
    • Options
      jen_tourangeaujen_tourangeau Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Probably the ones I have problems with are the IRQs and DMAs plus remembering the info on the Video Displays. I'm hoping to take the test next week...Someone wanna install more memory into me..I think I need an upgrade in that respect LOL
      Jennifer Tourangeau
      Owner/Operator
      Highlander Computers
      Technical Support and Web Design
    • Options
      PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
      Probably the ones I have problems with are the IRQs and DMAs plus remembering the info on the Video Displays. I'm hoping to take the test next week...Someone wanna install more memory into me..I think I need an upgrade in that respect LOL

Practice seems to be the best way (at least for myself).

You may find that creating a Mnemonic will be helpful :)
      Plantwiz
      _____
      "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    • Options
      jen_tourangeaujen_tourangeau Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Plantwiz wrote:

Practice seems to be the best way (at least for myself).

You may find that creating a Mnemonic will be helpful :)

Ok question...What is a Mnemonic...??? icon_confused.gif
      Jennifer Tourangeau
      Owner/Operator
      Highlander Computers
      Technical Support and Web Design
    • Options
      PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
      E-very
      G-ood
      B-oy
      D-oes
      F-ine

or

Please don't throw Saugage pizza away
      See example

HTH
      Plantwiz
      _____
      "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?