Options

What problems are you having with studying for core exam?

13»

Comments

• Options
    hackers_shackhackers_shack Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yanqui wrote:
    for POST errors--SMKFCHN
    System, memory, keyboard, floppy, cmos, hard drive, network (Never seen a post error question where the answer was network, so I'm gray on this one) but my mnemonic device here is SMACK for coming home naked.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may sound crazy, but I am having big problems with the ports and stuff like LPT1 and COM1 and other stuff like that. any one who can help me would be a great help.
  • Options
    suffocatedsuffocated Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    not4sureca wrote:
      IRQ Device Ways to Remember
      0 System Timer - Looks like a watch
      1 Keyboard - 1st input device
      2 open/video - Interlace draws screen twice
      3 Com 2/4 - 3 is between 2+4
      4 Com 1/3 - 1+3=4
      5 Sound Card - Try to remember something by itself
      6 Floppy - F is 6th letter of alphabet, 6 letters in floppy
      7 printer - lucky 7, you are lucky to own a printer

8 system real time clock - Like 2 watches must be the real time
      9 redirect to 2
      10 NIC - 1's and 0's over the internet
      11 Available
      12 PS/2 - 12 looks like /2 for PS/2
      13 math coprocessor - unlucky 13-have to do math
      14 Primary IDE
      15 Secondary IDE

For IRQ 5, I think of 5 looking like S. S for sound card.

I'm still studing for the Core right now. I'm doing many practice exams, but on different sites, weird questions come up that I didn't even know I had to know. For example, do I need to know about the number of Watts, Amps, and Ohms? Or RAM specifics like what does 32M×72 100MHz CL2 mean? That question was from Absolute Beginners Guild to A+ Cert.

Thanks,
      TOny
    • Options
      estrebestreb Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
      There are five letters in "sound," six letters in "floppy," and seven letters in "printer."
    • Options
      SAP195SAP195 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
      My problems are with the LAN & Servers>
      I need a favor from you guys, I need site which is explain every thing in A+, breifly.

I failed in HW three times & now preparing for SW.
    • Options
      tnm6itnm6i Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
      I just started studying Charles J. Brroks A+ Fifth Edition a few days ago. I've made it throught the DMA/IRQ and all the addressing and such. I used to know all this stuff by heart, but have forgotten all of it. I can't seem to get it down just yet. I should have taken the A+ 4 years ago when I was getting my Associate's in Comp networks, LOL. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten/Didn't know until I started reading the book.
    • Options
      sujee27sujee27 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
      this would definitely be the processors. There is a lot of memorization that has to be done for the processors and busses. Very tiring tis.
    • Options
      Practiced2DeathPracticed2Death Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Okay....for your laser printers........

think about washing your hair........

Clean, - (Clean)
      Condition, - (Condition)
      Wash, - (Write)
      Dry, - (Develop)
      Towel, -(Transfer)
      Fantastic! - (Fuse)

Easier to remember b/c it already keeps the integrity of the first two steps in the process in the key.

Hope it helps.
    • Options
      blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
      Ugh! The I/O addresses, DMA channels, COM ports, and IRQ numbers are kicking my behind. It's difficult enough trying to memorize them, but then having to remember the three coresponding things to different devices (i.e. What resources does a modem typically use?)... icon_evil.gif
      I used to know all this stuff by heart, but have forgotten all of it. I can't seem to get it down just yet. I should have taken the A+ 4 years ago when I was getting my Associate's in Comp networks, LOL. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten/Didn't know until I started reading the book.

I know exactly what you mean! I both missed my chance to get the discount vouchers at my school for the exams AND practically forgot all the important stuff... I'm re-studying for the A+ exam, and just finished with my school's CCNA curriculm. The CCNA I'm not so worried about, especially since I don't see myself getting a network job anytime soon. But the information in the Net+ curriculm (especially regarding Active Directory) I want in order to land an entry-level job. And I know that test is going to kill me... A word to the wise: if you take a class preparing you for an exam, take the test as soon as possible after or during the course!
      "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
      - Homer Simpson
    • Options
      dazzer34dazzer34 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Hi all,
      is this thread still running?
    • Options
      leosvleosv Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
      I guess, it's a sticky. I'm having issues remembering CPU sockets. ugh