Options

Home drive issue

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have been informed that this is a known issue so i hope someone knows of a work around as this is very annoying

All users are having his/her home folder created in AD, right click user - properties - profile - drop list of letters choose H - then type in on right hand side the location of his/her home folder - ya know this its pretty basic

The issue then is when a user logs on is does not map the specified folder as the home folder, it maps the level above, example \\server\user\fred it maps to \\server\users instead

Has anyone solved this one

Thanks in advance

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    how are your permissions share and NTFS set up, I have heard of the problem but cant quite remember what it was.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you entering this as your profile path (where Server1 is the name of the file server and Users is the share name):

\\Server1\Users\%username%

Or are you leaving out the last part?

If not, do the home folders exist already and can you list the permissions for the Users folder like dales said?
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    how are your permissions share and NTFS set up, I have heard of the problem but cant quite remember what it was

Share permissions - Everyone

NTFS - Domain admins/full control
    - User has modify

Are you entering this as your profile path (where Server1 is the name of the file server and Users is the share name):

\\Server1\Users\%username%

Or are you leaving out the last part?

Same as above - \\Server1\Users\%username% -

This is also random and does not happen to all users

Any help would be great

Lee H
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you create the user folder in advance does it map properly (not suggesting you do this, i just want to understand what's going wrong)? Or does it only work when the folder doesn't pre-exist?
  • Options
    ah yes something is coming back to me now, If I remember rightly it will be to do with permissions as specifying \\server\user\%username% will create the folder for you but if you look at the folders permissions it will not assign the permissions to the folder, therefore the user cannot access and drops back to the next available folder.

hmm off for a quick tour of the internet I feel.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• Options
    this linky any good to you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555046
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven