Options

Help setting up a lab (cannot join a domain)

rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I've set up a lab using VMware, at the moment I have two servers configured, one is a DC the other a standard member server, both servers can see and ping each other but for some reason I can't get the member server to join the domain, I get the following error message:

"NS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain contoso.com:
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.contoso.com

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
server01.contoso.com

Common causes of this error include:
- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running"

The machine I'm running VMware on does not have a physical network connection but I've got the VM sessions configured as NAT which seemed to get the two servers talking to each other. Basically my company doesn't want me connecting the machine to our network in case it causes any problems.

The IP settings are as follows:

Server01 (DC)

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Server02

IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Any ideas? I may be doing something really stupid but this is all new to me so go easy.

Posted this in the 70-290 forum as well but figured this might be a better place to post.

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you setup the DNS server before you installed AD?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

No I didn't! should I have? like I said, this is all new to me so kinda learning as I go along.
  • Options
    roolee wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

No I didn't! should I have? like I said, this is all new to me so kinda learning as I go along.

No you should have setup DNS with AD to be safe.

Do you have A records created for both of your servers?
    Can you query all A records when you do nslookups on each server?

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    roolee wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

No you should have setup DNS with AD to be safe.

Do you have A records created for both of your servers?
    Can you query all A records when you do nslookups on each server?

I'm not entirely sure, how would I create these?

The frustrating thing is you need to have this enviroment set up to do the 70-290 labs but the MS Press book doesn't hint at how to configure this, it just guides you through the DC server setup and assumes you know the rest, maybe I should have started studying for 70-291 before 290!
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use netdiag /fix, if you don't have netdiag loaded you can download it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892777
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Both your DC's should be DNS servers. Point DC2 to itself for DNS first, then DC1. Vice versa for DC1. That won't fix your problem though.

You should run DCDIAG /c /v >dcdiag.txt and examine the output. See if DNS records are missing. Open the txt file with notepad and use the find command to find "fail" and look around that to see what problems you have. If you notice DNS records are missing for a DC, restart the Netlogon service on the problem DC, and run dcdiag again to confirm the records are created successfully.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Both your DC's should be DNS servers. Point DC2 to itself for DNS first, then DC1. Vice versa for DC1. That won't fix your problem though.

You should run DCDIAG /c /v >dcdiag.txt and examine the output. See if DNS records are missing. Open the txt file with notepad and use the find command to find "fail" and look around that to see what problems you have. If you notice DNS records are missing for a DC, restart the Netlogon service on the problem DC, and run dcdiag again to confirm the records are created successfully.

I only have one DC and one member server.
  • Options
    Sorry, just realised I put in the original post that both servers are DC's, doh! sorry about that, amended.
  • Options
    bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely get rid of the NAT adapters. In fact, if you are using the NAT adapters, your VMs are NOT isolated from your corporate network. Your VMs will share whatever physical connection you have installed on your PC and your host PC will perform NAT for them. Try pinging the IP of your local fileserver on the corporate network and see if it replies. The only way to isolate your VMs so that they can talk to each other and not be aware of the network that your corporate PC is connected to is to use host-only adapters.

If you open the settings for each VM, it should allow you to choose a host-only ethernet adapter. If you change all of your VMs to host-only it means that they are on their own separate network within your PC and the outside world is not aware of them, so they pose no threat to your corporate network. I have several VMs setup on my corporate laptop and they do not pass traffic with the network.

If you can't set it up in VMware, you can always try MS Virtual PC, which I think in many ways is better than VMware. I started on VMware but moved to virtual PC because of some of the better features.
    Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking
  • Options
    Usually DNS is installed along with dcpromo unless you check it NOT to install DNS. You can check it by just going to Administrative Tools and if there is a DNS icon, it is most likely installed.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check DNS\Forward Lookup Zone and look for the domain name you configured eg: domain.com, if you don't see it then you didn't set it up correctly, like the guy above me mentioned when you run dcpromo, it gives you an option to install and automatically configure DNS for you.

You can also run nslookup if it gives you an error, then 1. it means that either you did not point your DC to itself, or 2. dns was not configured.

If this is the case, your best bet, is re-running dcpromo this will remove AD, the run it again and make sure you select the right option to setup DNS.

Goodluck icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually had this exact problem a few weeks back, my problem was my firewall was blocking the necessary ports. i had ISA server installed which caused the problem.#

Maybe this will help in some odd way!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    run dcdiag

also run netdiag /test:DNS (I think that's the command)

On your DC and examine the output :) This should get you started..... Are you running A.D Integrated DNS zones or Standard Primary DNS zones?

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    Check DNS\Forward Lookup Zone and look for the domain name you configured eg: domain.com, if you don't see it then you didn't set it up correctly, like the guy above me mentioned when you run dcpromo, it gives you an option to install and automatically configure DNS for you.

You can also run nslookup if it gives you an error, then 1. it means that either you did not point your DC to itself, or 2. dns was not configured.

If this is the case, your best bet, is re-running dcpromo this will remove AD, the run it again and make sure you select the right option to setup DNS.

Goodluck icon_cool.gif

Apologies for the late reply on this, been mad busy with work!

The Forward Lookup Zone has the domain name in it.

Nslookup comes back with "Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1"

I've re-run dcpromo but still coming up with the same error.

I've also changed the network settings on VMware to Host Only.

Just to clarify, I don't have a network connection on the host machine, it is not networked in any way, both servers are running purely on VMware. I can ping the servers/browse to them so they are definitely talking to each other.

Help!
  • Options
    A.P.A wrote:
    run dcdiag

On your DC and examine the output :) This should get you started..... Are you running A.D Integrated DNS zones or Standard Primary DNS zones?

How do I run this command? it just comes back with "netdiag is not recognized as a command"

I'm not entirely sure if I'm running Intergrated or Standard Primary zones.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just to clarify can you ping the FQDN "server01.contoso.com" from the member server?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    roolee wrote:
    A.P.A wrote:
    run dcdiag

How do I run this command? it just comes back with "netdiag is not recognized as a command"

I'm not entirely sure if I'm running Intergrated or Standard Primary zones.

You need to install the support tools from the Server 2003 disc and the select the "command prompt" from the Support Tools folder in All Programs. Run netdiag /fix and this should correct the issue.

The 70-290 is the server 2003 version of the 70-270. Your books will not have information on DCPROMO/DNS because that is a 70-291 topic.

* Make sure you have DNS installed.
    * Create a reverse lookup zone for the 192.168.0.0 network.
    * Install support tools
    * Run netdiag /fix
    * ping contoso.com
    * NEVER USE CONTOSO.COM AGAIN! This is a domain name registered by MS and may cause issues even in a test environment. Use contoso.local or some other made up domain name.
  • Options
    lol contoso is in ninja gaiden II
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contoso

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote:

No screen shot? I'm already passed that point. Lame icon_sad.gif

BTW. You can also have fun with your lab domain names. Mine was mcse08.fosho ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

No screen shot? I'm already passed that point. Lame icon_sad.gif

BTW. You can also have fun with your lab domain names. Mine was mcse08.fosho ;)

lol, i'm prob gonna regret disclosing this but I have 3 domains:

Skywalker.net:
    Servers = Luke, Solo, Yoda
    XP = Rebel1, Rebel2

Emipre.net:
    Servers = Vader, Fett
    XP = Storm1

Halo.7thcolumn.net