What have you accomplished since you came to TE?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
In an attempt to branch off from this thread, what have you accomplished since you found this site? For bonus points, add how you found this site.

I did 290 on 2/12/07, 270 on 3/7/07, and I randomly found this site about a week later while googling how to connect to my first Cisco router. Since then, I've gone on to wrap up my 2003 MCSE: Security (includes Security+) and MCTS: Vista Config.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I wrote:
    I don't know how "fun" it is, but I was only A+ certified back in late October of 2005 when I first joined this forum. I took Security+ that Halloween, and went on to do MCSA, CCNA, Linux+, and not nearly enough drugs. Career-wise, I'd just come off a job at CompUSA, working as a PC technician, and had just started a job doing helpdesk work for Kaiser Permanente. In the time since, I've worked as a systems engineer in the NOC of a datacenter/ISP, and as a systems administrator for an IT outsourcing firm.

I found the site via a Google search for MCSE practice tests, if I remember correctly.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    MCSE 2000: Security, MCSA 2000/2003: Security, MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator

This included passing four exams: 70-351, 70-236, 70-237, 70-238. Not bad for 5 months!

I'm sure I found this site using google, but clueless what I was googling for. Sure hope it wasn't pr0n... icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think my ever changing sig-line tells the tale.

With that in mind... far less billable time than I was doing previously. icon_confused.gif

Edit: To follow along Hero's line, I found the site when looking for a forum that didn't cater to people wanting to **** like all the others.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hadn't a single Cert when I joined but was getting ready to take the Security+. While I had good experience I was finding it very hard to move from local short term contract work to something full time that might actually pay the rent - getting some certs on the resume changed that majorly, which was my original plan and then I found I actually really liked being 'back in school' and started doing them for the knowledge.
    I found the site through a google and immediately felt at home.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSE 2000 & 2003, CCEA XP, CCA PS 4, Security+, Linux+, and Network+ and more to come.

Not sure why I came here. I think I was looking for a different forum to participate in because at the time, one site I was frequenting was ruined by its commercial owner and another site that was supposed to be a 'community' was sold on ebay.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Junior in college when I joined. All certs earned have been post tech-exams discovery. very helpful for each and everyone i have passed
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I came across this site originally when I was looking for information on the A+. Didn't sign up at the time but came back a while later when I started searching for information on the Security+. Signed up just so I could list my DCSE and A+ but didn't have any plans of actual participation. I got active around when I got my Security+ surprisingly enough. This is just a great forum, I can't stand most. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people around. It is good to have a place where you always know that there is someone who knows more about something than you, even if you may know more than the other person in a different area. Also the level of maturity here is pretty impressive. Anyhow, wandered off topic a bit. I got my MCSA as well and hopefully it won't be too long til my MCSE. Got to catch up to dynamik, knock his head out of the clouds! :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Before:
    MCSE:NT4
    CCNA

After:
    MCSE:2003
    EMCPA
    Edit - MCSE:Messaging 2003 as of 6/6/08

Although I didn't actually join until after I passed 270 and 290, I found the site from a google search while preparing for 290.
  • JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've gotten all my certs since I stumbled accross this site. I believe I was googling things relating to my A+ exam when I found it. I started my IT journey in September of last year and have gotten all my certs since then. What a fun ride! This site has definitely been instrumental in my studies for all the exams.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    I found the site with google while searching ressources for 70-282.

Since I joined

A+
    MCP
    MCTS
    MCSA(2K3)
    MCSA+S(2K3)
    MCSE(2K3)
    MCSE+S(2K3)
    MCT
    IBM Certified
    CISCO SMB
    TTT
    icon_eek.gif
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had gotten my degree previously and I had tried to take my CCNA (failed with a 650). Guess what. I brain dumped this exam too (unknowingly). Just goes to show you I was focused on learning the material and not the questions (I had brand new Cisco equipment I got to play with)
    I didn't know how to take certifications tests thats for sure. Sybex let me down!

I decided to go for my MCSE last year and started my 70-270. Found this site and kept up with it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    When I joined I only had my A+ which was already 3 years old. I had decided that if I had any chance of moving up in my career that I needed to start getting certified so I started out in baby steps by going for my Network+.

I found TE through a google search when I was looking for tech notes. Since I joined I've gotten

Network+
    Security+
    DHTI+
    MCP
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCSE 2000/2003
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When I joined I had my CCNA.

Now I have my CCNA.... Not much progress.

I have passed the BSCI and BCMSN towards CCNP since joining. I have just been too busy to finish lately.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Just my A+ and a promise to my boss that I would be getting my Net+ soon. He decided to create "Testfest" a contest to see how many certs you can get in 6 months. Since its inception ME=8 Boss=0 Guy1=2 Guy2=0 Guy3=0, and they still pay up every 6 months lol.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I signed up the day I passed 270. I trolled the site for about 2 weeks prior for the kick ass technotes. I signed up just to say thank you, but obviously I'm here for the long haul. Since then, Network+, Security+, 290, 291.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I think I just had my Network+ before joining this site.

Then I joined Feb 2008 by googling for study material. Since then I got my Security+, A+, 70-270, 70-290....(hopefully in 3 weeks we can add 70-291 and with that my MCSA). This site is a great motivator for me, as I see others obtaining their certs. It made me wake up to the fact that I'd better start studying and getting my certs if I ever want to move on.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    When i first joined this site a few months back the only certification i had was my A+ which i took in 97. Since then i have attained my CompTIA Network+ Certification and taking the Vista Client exam on the 14th.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    All of my certs came after I joined, joined while search for 270 stuff and couldnt resist posting... Now its one of my staple sites I visit every day just for fun. Awesome crowd with tons of helpful posts.... Heres to you TE
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had 210/215 when I joined, then 270 in 2005, 290 in 2007 and CCA in 2008. Hopeful of sitting 294 in July.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Everything your see here

<==

...and 3676+ posts ;)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Everything your see here
    <==

You became Kevin Smith?.... bowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I had just graduated with my Bachelors degree and had no certs at all...interestingly enough I was working in the career services department of a university and was looking for a way to switch careers and get into IT...while searching for resources for other graduates...and myself I came across the techexams site.

Since I found the site i've completed
    A+
    Net+
    MCP
    MCDST and am 1 291 test away from MCSA...D@mn 291
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Ahriakin wrote:

You know, what you don't know about him could fill the Grand Canyon! :)
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    Everything your see here
    <==

There is an uncanny resemblance (sorry James, I've been stalking you icon_sad.gif)

Kevin Smith's beard has nothing on his though. Do you still have that thing? Your O'Reilly page is a decade old now. I hope that it's now around your feet, given the time you've had to work on it icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    Ahriakin wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    Everything your see here
    <==

There is an uncanny resemblance (sorry James, I've been stalking you icon_sad.gif)

Kevin Smith's beard has nothing on his though. Do you still have that thing? Your O'Reilly page is a decade old now. I hope that it's now around your feet, given the time you've had to work on it icon_lol.gif
    Kevin Smith is far more dedicated to comic books and movie making than I ever could be. Also, unlike Kevin, I have a low tolerance to living in New Jersey. ;)

And I cut that beard off in 1998 when I got married, but I do still have it in my closet somewhere. icon_eek.gif My LinkedIn photo is a closer approximation of myself today.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had to add you to my LinkedIn network just to be able to see that "new" photo since its not available on your public profile. :)

I figured it would have been 6 feet long by now.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I obtained my MCSE, CCNA, Security+, and started on my CCNP track. I found this site while doing a search on google. I've been in IT for 4 years and the most progress I have made has been since I joined this site. Its nice to have people around you that can motivate you.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    i got my mcp and A+ now all i need is a job!!!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Oh, I forgot a couple of things earlier in this thread. In the time since joining TechExams.net, (more specifically, this past week,) I quit my full-time job, got a part-time job, got some prep-work done to go back to school, and I finally joined a social networking site for professionals. I'm just a crazy party animal, I am. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had just signed up to take my CCNA test and was freaking out about it when I found this site. I mainly googled for what to expect on it and sample questions. Since I have found it I took and passed my CCNA a few days later then 3 days after that (and after reading this site a lot) sat for and passed my Linux+. After doing those in short order I was pretty burnt out on taking tests so I took a break to focus on my CCNP Net Acad work. Since I am done with that I have been back browsing posts and preparing to finish up my CCNP.

When I am getting bored with reading Cisco stuff I have also been reading MCSE and Security+ stuff on here as well. Figure those are what I will go after after the CCNP is done.

<RANT>
    Forgot to mention that I have also finished 3 Associate level majors in college during the same time. They were in Computer Support Technology, Computer Information Systems and Computer Networking Systems. Even with an Associates of Applied Science and an Associates of Applied business, CCNA, Linux+ and 5+ years of desktop support and programming experience I can't even get $15\hr jobs to call me for an interview (except for a 1-3 day contract here and there)... Sorta confused as to why I can't get a job so in the mean time I have decided to go nuts on getting certs. It's frustrating more than anything.</RANT>
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.