Options

70-270 passed

Hello,
it was a tough exam for me to pass. Especially because I did not have any IT background. Now I am much more familiar and do not feel a newbie anymore.
Do you think that, with this knowledge (I studied hard and long so my score was really good), it should be easier to pass 70-290? Do these two exams have something in common? Could you compare them or they are compleyelt different?

Thanks and see you in 70-290 forum.

Banderas

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Tell us what you thought of the exam and what you scored.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    ULWiz wrote:
    Tell us what you thought of the exam and what you scored.
    I thought it was very detailed although I could easily say which two of four or five answers might have been correct. It was about marking the right one. So the score depends on your luck too as you can not know everything. I scored +900.
    I am not sure if I should have taken as much as 3 months for preparation. If I had taken 1 month, I would probably have passed too. But it was my first IT exam so I did not rush.
    What can I say? While studying, I always tried to know why the other answers are incorrect and what they mean at all.
    I felt so confident and calm before the exam. I have to say that Transcender is good and it helped me to make progress.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

I found the 70-270 and 70-290 to be about the same as far as difficulty. Realize that the 70-290 is more server side stuff, whereas the 70-270 was more client side. 900+ is a great score, so feel proud of that. It's up to you how long you want to study for the next one.

Knowing the correct answer and why the incorrect answers are not right is crucial, so keep up the good study habits!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The 290 incorporates a lot of concepts from the 270 so you will see a lot of overlap. Make sure you know your back-ups, your performance monitoring, your basic administration i.e. adding users and modifying user options, and review over your share and ntfs permissions. Get to know a few of the command line utilities such as dsadd and dsmodify. Nothing too deep just basic usage. When you feel expert level on this stuff then you should be ready. Don't forget to review all that you did for the 270 as well!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Congrats!

I found the 70-270 and 70-290 to be about the same as far as difficulty. Realize that the 70-290 is more server side stuff, whereas the 70-270 was more client side. 900+ is a great score, so feel proud of that. It's up to you how long you want to study for the next one.

Knowing the correct answer and why the incorrect answers are not right is crucial, so keep up the good study habits!

Thanks! I feel so relieved now. I believe it should be easier for me with yhe next ones.
    Do you think that the score is that important later on while looking for a job in IT?
    I started thinking that it is enough to pass and what matters is how you work in the real work environment. On the other hand, this theoretical knowledge is very much releted to work environment so I'd better have a good command of it before I go anywhere in future.
    What do you think?

Banderas
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    The 290 incorporates a lot of concepts from the 270 so you will see a lot of overlap. Make sure you know your back-ups, your performance monitoring, your basic administration i.e. adding users and modifying user options, and review over your share and ntfs permissions. Get to know a few of the command line utilities such as dsadd and dsmodify. Nothing too deep just basic usage. When you feel expert level on this stuff then you should be ready. Don't forget to review all that you did for the 270 as well!
    Good advice indeed! I sure will follow it! Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Congrats!

Thanks! I feel so relieved now. I believe it should be easier for me with yhe next ones.
    Do you think that the score is that important later on while looking for a job in IT?
    I started thinking that it is enough to pass and what matters is how you work in the real work environment. On the other hand, this theoretical knowledge is very much releted to work environment so I'd better have a good command of it before I go anywhere in future.
    What do you think?

Banderas

I wouldn't get caught up on test scores. It's nice to achieve higher tests scores, but no hiring employer will ever ask you what your test scores were. A pass is a pass. So in the grand scheme of things, test scores mean nothing. All that really matters is that you pass.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and good luck with your 70-290 studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get caught up on test scores. It's nice to achieve higher tests scores, but no hiring employer will ever ask you what your test scores were. A pass is a pass. So in the grand scheme of things, test scores mean nothing. All that really matters is that you pass.[/quote]
    I think the same. Is it not true the more (theory) you know the easier for you (in practice) at work later on?
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass, and good luck with your 70-290 studies.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Is it not true the more (theory) you know the easier for you (in practice) at work later on?

Yes, to a certain degree theory will help with your future job. But at some point you are just going to have to get some real life experience.

Now go study them technotes so you can pass your 70-290.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4445