Options

Independent Health

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I graduated 3 months ago with a IT associates degree and its been tough finding a job making what I make now (not IT though). I have a interview with independent health for a paid internship in in helpdesk department. I think I can squeeze 15 hours a week in my full time schedule, would it be a good idea to give it a shot? comments please! thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It will give you experience to open more doors for you when it is finished. It might even turn into permanent employment. If you are looking to get into the IT business I really don't see a downside especially since it is paid.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's a lot of people here that are desperately trying to break into the field. As long as this doesn't negatively affect your health and well-being (i.e. only allowing you to sleep 3 hours/night), go for it. Opportunities like that seem hard to come by, so you'd be a fool to pass it up without good reason.
  • Options
    Yeah, I will definetly take the opportunity if they accept me. I wonder how much they would pay full time. Is that a question I can ask or should I just wait it out
  • Options
    I'd wait until they make an offer for full-time first.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    For sure get your foot in the door and get the experience. You can scale back any coursework to fit around the job.

As hard as it is to get in, in some areas of the country...take the experience, make the contacts.
  • Options
    well, they just contacted me to say the position was filled Friday, my interview was tomorrow. Figures i would get the shaft, its been fustrating trying to get a IT job icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    rizzo777,

What were your objectives in IT might I ask? That really helps determine where you should be applying your efforts.

Just starting out, especially since you only have your AA and I don't see any certifications on your list would probably be Geek Squad. Great thing there, is you can work evenings or weekends or what ever, so you can keep your day job.

In addition, volunteer at your local library or senior center to help patron's with the computers.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe I should get a couple certs, how much do they cost? I can't see myself working for geek squad, I had some interviews but no responses, also I don't see what I'm doing wrong at interviews, wish they can tell me :)
  • Options
    rizzo777 wrote:
    Yeah, maybe I should get a couple certs, how much do they cost? I can't see myself working for geek squad, I had some interviews but no responses, also I don't see what I'm doing wrong at interviews, wish they can tell me :)

Ask.

Also, maybe you didn't send a thank you letter ;)
  • Options
    I sure did send thank you letters except for 1 place I had no interest in. I remember a interview a month ago I met with a lady and all that happened was her explaining what my job role would be and company information, did not ask me any questions and never called me back, I even sent a thank you letter. I dressed professionally (suit, tie, ect ect) and I know that I don't look like a scumbag or a slob, so who knows.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sometimes the problem is just that somebody with more experience than you applied. Are you a good talker? Being able to talk yourself up well without sounding like you are arrogant or egocentric is an art form well worth learning. Have you been sending a well thought out and written cover letter with your resume? That can also help you to stand out to the employer in addition to the interview. Make sure you are asking good questions at the interview as well so that you look genuinely interested in the job, and not just genuinely interested in the paycheque. It will make a difference. Try and build up a rapport with the interviewer so that you aren't just talking work 100%. Interviews are sometimes more of a popularity contest, depending upon whom is interviewing you. Especially if it is some HR person instead of the Director of IT.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Yeah I definetly ask genuine questions about the company and what not. I never once brought up any kind of salary or benefit packages, I always wait till the employer does. In the past 4 interviews the employers didn't even mention the salary.
  • Options
    Human resources at independent health called me again for another interview for a intern opportunity in the help desk department. She says she felt bad for scheduling an interview and it filled up before I can present myself. I think it pays 10 per hour which is low but its an internship so I won't complain. I'm pretty excited and hoping it will open the door for other positions as well. Thurs at 4:30! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    What is the next step to get off the phones from help desk? what is required to do so and howm uch exp is required?
  • Options
    Make sure you have at least one year of solid help desk experience. And by solid I mean not hopping to another company. If it is just contracts then make sure it is noted in your resume that the positions were contract positions. Two years would look even better. Work on your certifications during this depending upon what you're targeting. If you're looking for systems administration then go for your MCSE or MCITP:EA. Then start getting your resume out and around and especially look at small businesses for systems administrator positions. They're more willing to take a chance though their rate will probably not be very good.
  • Options
    Well just got home from the interview, went pretty well I think. Basically they need someone for a month or two to update their active directory database for a new system they are implementing. She says she is going to contact HR and get back to me real soon about the position. Is the experience I will gain by this really benefit me a lot since it's probaly only AD? I sure will try to get my feet wet with other things there but we'll see.
  • Options
  • Options
    AD will be a great experience, but you'll get so much more than that. I'm sure you'll get experience working with different the IT sections (network, security, development) and see how the department functions as a whole.

Depending on their implementation Active Directory can be very complex and it can be used in just about everything at the enterprise level including Group Policy (which is an animal in itself), DNS, Print Servers, File Shares, Security, Exchange...etc. I think it would be an excellent opportunity
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, got a call earlier and they offered me a 1-2 months or even longer internship so I got the position. Pays ok at 11 an hour but I was expecting 0 so its all good :D
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good for you, hopefully having this work experience will make it easier for you to get a full-time position in IT in a few months.
  • Options
    Well my first day in the IT field starts at 8:00 tomorrow. Any suggestions? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    They placed me in a lab for my shift today just working within 2 tabs in active directory users. They have me updating just a few lines for each user. I really hope I get some more in depth with AD or anything else. I have a feeling they just want me to do that, is that a waste of time? or is any experience good to have.
  • Options
    It's better than nothing, and once you've proven yourself to be competent, they'll probably give you additional responsibilities.
  • Options
    I hope so, They gave me instructions one time and I had no questions or problems the whole day so thats a good start icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Updating a few lines for users in AD? See if it is something you can script! That should really impress them.
  • Options
    With all the information I posted for my job duties, how should I add this experience on my resume for type of work ect.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Keep a word document of all the programs, hardware and software that you come in contact with becuase when it comes time to update the resume it will be easier. I have been doing this since 2000 and it works like a charm. Also keep track of what specifics parts of the Microsoft enviroment you work with, ie AD, DNS, WINS, GPOs, etc. All this will help later. Cuurently I just keep a running list in a draft email in my hotmail account.

Good luck and congradulations on the new job. :D
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Well the job is pretty boring at the moment because I'm doing the same thing over and over but its ok, it beats the hell out of my current full time job (auto parts). My boss said she is amazed how fast I caught on and my performance so once I'm done with AD I will be placed in the infrastructure department to help them with a computer overhaul in there labs (imaging ect) so Im looking forward to that, hopefully they will hire me full time but don't think it's possible. But dang, those consultant programmers in my lab are crazy intelligent it scares me icon_eek.gif