Options

Changing Companies, same role.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
As some of you may know I am a Systems Administrator that has been spread pretty thin lately. Well a new opportunity has come about just recently where I can move into another Systems Administrator for a fortune 500 company that works on projects with companies such as NASA. I was actually contacted through careerbuilder.com by their company and decided to give it a shot. The interview lasted 25 minutes tops. The next day I received a phone call from the project manager offering me a position with their company. I havent signed the job offer yet, should be complete monday.

Then right after I hung up I received another call from another company that will be working on a contract internationally with Cheveron. They wanted to interview me as well. Should I hold off on employer A and interview for employer B to see what they have to offer? I feel I have nothing to lose and all to gain at this point. The nice thing is that both potential employers contacted me.

The big thing next is that my current employer has no clue, she is going to be shocked to say the least. She doesnt understand thats what happens when you underpay someone and overwork them. She doesnt have a replacement or even someone in the company that could fill my shoes currently. I have already created 3 different manuals for the new employee and I am prepared to train the next employee as needed before my 2 weeks notice.

Jobs/Careers are give/take correct? I shouldn't feel bad that she didn't cover her company and hire another technician after I told her repetitivly, but for some reason I do. It must be because she is personally a great person she just doesnt manage as well as I would like.

Anyhow. There are jobs out there still, dont get discouraged.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I wouldn't wait to long on A. See if you can setup an interview with B ASAP (like Monday afternoon or something), you could tell them about another offer being on the table (since they contacted you - I would never suggest this if you were the one applying).

The risk with waiting too long is A might withdraw their offer. Have they sent you a written offer yet? If not maybe ask them for one on Monday as it will buy you a day or two.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Accept the offer, and go to the next interview... If you decide you want Chevron, tell the company that offered you a job, that you got a better offer.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Tell your manager your current situation with time, money, and your other offer(s) and see if she suddenly comes up with a generous salary increase for you. If you really want to leave regardless of getting a raise, give A a tentative OK and interview with B. A will expect you to give, at least, two weeks notice to your current employer, and therefore not expect you to be available immediately. This gives you time to follow-up with B or your manager time to com up with extra money/benefits/perks for you.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you've already verbally accepted the first offer, then you should probably not go back on it if it sounds like a great job. That will make them pretty unhappy. IMO.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I have already accepted the offer verbally with "Company A", tenative on pay, bennies, % of travel etc. They will not have an offer letter ready until monday morning.

I wasn't even sure if I was going to get on with Company A and already set up an interview for monday morning for Company B. I should know on monday either way what will happen with Company B. Company B is well aware of the other company that I have an offer from. I called them back to let them know that I already had another offer from another company. They insisted I still interview.

I am not going to take the offer from my boss if she all of a sudden has money in the budget for a raise because I am moving on to better things. She was well aware I had been expecting a 10,000 increase and she decided to try and put me into management/sales to suit her company better and the possibility of me to make 10,000 could exist. This is not a sure thing and I clearly stated I wanted to make a certian amount in the IT related field and she said it would happen. It's been 2 years now and I still havent seen the money. I love the company, the experiences I had there, but talking and doing are two different things. This is the 3rd time I will have had to present another offer to the table that is offering substantially more to start then she is currently offering me.

It is time for me to move on. "Company A" is backed financially by a multi billion dollar company nation wide and I know if I do well the rewards will be there. I explained my expectations to the new company before they even were considering me as a hire. They seem more structured and appreciated me being blunt/honest with them up front.

I have already decided that I am going to accept offer A. They know I need 2 weeks to close out my projects and train a new employee/current employee that may be moving up. So not an issue there.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have already decided that I am going to accept offer A. They know I need 2 weeks to close out my projects and train a new employee/current employee that may be moving up. So not an issue there.
    Then you should thank Company B and decline to interview with them. No sense in wasting everyones time if you have already made up your mind.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, that would be the decent thing to do.

And Congrats on the new job!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Techjunky, I think you and I worked for the same company. Your expereince was similar to mine.