Options

questions on installing vmware on my company network

2»

Comments

• Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    ok now that i got a 2k3 server on vmware...i want to add a small network on it...couple of server and couple of xp workstation. since i already installed 2k3 and got a 2k3 server vmware folder...someone told me i can basically copy that folder and have vmware point to it and viola..2nd server? is that true? how would i go about doing that on vmware?

next i will install xp and copy that folder to make a couple of workstation correct? i have 2 GB of RAM on my laptop. how many server and workstation can i run maximum? or how many server and workstation minimum do u recommend for a good labbing sessions for my mcsa? is 1 server and 1 workstation sufficient enough?

thx in advance.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Although it is possible to clone things like that there are more steps required and since you're just starting out your best bet is to just install the next one like you did this one.

Give the servers between 256-512MB and the XP box 128-256MB (you're not going to need a lot of RAM as these are just basic servers with a very limited load).

I would start 1 workstation and 1 DC for now. Add another DC or member server when you're working on 70-291 so you can play with DNS, WSUS and RRAS properly.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, simply duplicating the folder will give all machines the same SID, which will cause some frustrating problems later on. Not that I would know anything about that icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, simply duplicating the folder will give all machines the same SID, which will cause some frustrating problems later on. Not that I would know anything about that icon_rolleyes.gif

+1 , Its a pain, maybe use sysprep?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Personally I prefer NewSID from Sysinternals (don't give me that "but its not supported by Microsoft stuff" - its worked fine for me since the days of NT4 :))
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    Personally I prefer NewSID from Sysinternals (don't give me that "but its not supported by Microsoft stuff" - its worked fine for me since the days of NT4 :))

Remember, that can cause problems with WSUS: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33732
  • Options
    Yeah same with sysprep. Hence another reason why I hate WSUS. crash.gif
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    just saw today on my 2k3 server on my vmware said i have 60 days to activate it. any1 have any ideas which version do i have? i guess i dont have the volume license like i though i did.
  • Options
    You should know what version you purchased/are licensed for, since you're the only one who knows where you got it from.

If you got it through less than legitimate methods, might I suggest downloading a 180 trial version from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx