Options

What equipment is needed for these Cisco objectives? (BCMSN)

tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking at Cisco's information on the BCMSN exam and I've run across a couple of their objectives that I'm concerned about.

Basically, what I'd like to know is, what equipment do I need to practice on for these objectives:

-Configure and verify basic IP Phone support (i.e. Voice VLAN, Trust and CoS options, AutoQoS for voice).

AND

-Configure a wireless client (i.e., ADU).

What do you guys think? This is my current lab setup:

1x 3550 PoE
2x 2950 (SI)
1x 2511 access server router
Next up:
CCIP

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that will be fine. I will be just using a router for my layer 3 switch just because of the expense. I think one of the only things you can't perform on the router that you will need to change the switch is the routing templates in order to change memory allocation to focus on routing
  • Options
    What about their objective "configure a wireless client"?? Do they mean configure a wireless client on a switch?
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WLAN looks to be mostly understanding of the technology and theory. This is a little initial configuration, but it looks to be mostly done on a switch. I don't think it would cost justify purchasing any gear
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    tomset wrote:
    I'm looking at Cisco's information on the BCMSN exam and I've run across a couple of their objectives that I'm concerned about.

Basically, what I'd like to know is, what equipment do I need to practice on for these objectives:

-Configure and verify basic IP Phone support (i.e. Voice VLAN, Trust and CoS options, AutoQoS for voice).

AND

1x 3550 PoE
    2x 2950 (SI)

tomset,

Do you have a laptop with a PCMCIA slot?
  • Options
    tomset wrote:

AND

1x 3550 PoE
    2x 2950 (SI)

tomset,

Yep. Why, are they going to test my ability to join a wireless network?
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    tomset wrote:
    tomset wrote:

AND

1x 3550 PoE
    2x 2950 (SI)

tomset,

Yep. Why, are they going to test my ability to join a wireless network?

tomset,

I am not currently studying for the 642-812 BCMSN exam, however I recently completed the "Fundamentals of Wireless LANs" course through my local Cisco Networking Academy. Based on my experience, when they mention "configure a wireless client" they may be talking about:
    1. Configure the wireless client to create an ad hoc wireless network.
    2. Configure the wireless client to associate with an autonomous access point (I used the Cisco 1200 series access points in the "Fundamentals of Wireless LANs" course).
    3. Configure the wireless client to associate with a lightweight access point. (this would require a WLAN controller and lightweight access points, which wasn't part of my "Fundamentals of Wireless LANs" course).
    4. Configure the wireless client security features such as WEP, WPA, EAP, etc.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When they are talking about configuring a client they mean using the GUI program that comes with Cisco client adapters. It is the same client that Atheros uses on the WinXP version of the eeePC.

Aironet Desktop Utility
    ADU.jpg
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    When they are talking about configuring a client they mean using the GUI program that comes with Cisco client adapters. It is the same client that Atheros uses on the WinXP version of the eeePC.

Aironet Desktop Utility
    ADU.jpg

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!
    Next up:
    CCIP