Options

question for better foundation and understanding

Hey guys, I currently work in the security field and I am being trained up to do various tasks in security. I have recently been feeling that since being in the security field I haven't had to deal much with general networking and feel I am losing a bit of the knowledge I once had. I am kind of unsure on how to ask this question or if it is the proper question to be asked but I am looking for guidance to see what a good path might be to take to get back to the roots of tcp/ip and networking? Should I look at stuff like network+ or is there possibly a better path I might be able to take? I have heard some people talk about the tcp/ip illustrated books for a really good and visual way to truly get a firm grasp on the protocol stack but wanted to see what you all thought?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    If you are a beginner in computer networking then the Network+ would be the way to go. If you have some networking experience and like working with Cisco equipment, then look into the CCNA. If you really enjoy using protocol analyzers, IDSes, and pen testing work, then you should have a look at the CEH. Also, the Web is filled with information on TCP/IP and networking in general. Have a look at Wikipedia and cisco.com.
  • Options
    zenlakinzenlakin Member Posts: 104
    Hmm, maybe I will just take out any chance of missing something and get all 3? LOL!! That might be a pretty good idea now that I think about it. :)
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    zenlakin wrote:
    Hmm, maybe I will just take out any chance of missing something and get all 3? LOL!! That might be a pretty good idea now that I think about it. :)

Don't worry, there is plenty more to look at after that. Getting those three will leave you missing out on a lot still. If you plan to be seriously involved in any aspect of InfoSec you will be studying until the day you retire, and you will likely need to obtain many more than just these certifications.

The list provided above were some immediate possibilities provided as recommendaions based upon the information you provided. If you are working more with Cisco gear you may need to concentrate further down that path. If you work with Juniper equiptment a lot there are similar certifications availabl there as well. If you used to work more in networking before and have a strong foundations but feel your skills are getting rusty you can get some equiptment and practice up. There are general Security certificatios such as Security+ or the SSCP that you might want to consider once you brush up on your networking. I could continue rambling on like this with similar statements for the next hour and only begin to scratch the surface.

I highly recommend reading the followng threads:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27343
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31353

Keep in mind that you cannot secure something you don't understand and don't feel very comfortable working with and fine tuning. If you are going to be securing networks it is important to have a foundation in maintaining them and designing them as well. If you are going to be working on application security it is important to have written some software (and correct the security issues that arose as a result). It is great that you have a chance to be trained in various security related tasks, but be sure it is being built on a strong foundation. You can get by for a short while building in a swamp, but eventually things will start to sink.

If you search around a little you will find a lot of good networking book suggestions on these forums as well, not just the certification related books. As James mentioned, if you are a beginner in networking the Network+ is a great place to get some general knowledge and a basic understanding to build upon.