Options

Which Linux OS is popular?

certifymecertifyme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, seems like there are a bunch of different type of Linux out there. I'm wondering which one do most tech companies use?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    On the server side in enterprise environments it's RHEL (Red Hat), followed by RHEL (Red Hat), followed by RHEL (Red Hat), followed by SLES (Novell/SUSE), followed by anything else. ;)
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    thanks for the replies guys... I downloaded centOS live and ran it on vmware. Is that good enough to study for the linux+ or do i need to download the actual install file (DVD iso 3.4 gig i think) and install it on vmware? Also, I'm new to vmware and linux.. trying to learn both hehe..
  • Options
    I would go ahead and get some installation experience whether it's on the exam or not. CentOS is a great choice as it is essentially RHEL without the "Red Hat" logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS).
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stick with CentOS in Vmware for your Linux+ cert, and yes, install it a bunch of times.

If you plan on running a desktop to replace your WinXP/Vista, think Ubuntu.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Not to be obnoxious but solely because someone will call you out on it some day:

Linux is the operating system and all the different versions like debian, redhat, suse, etc are called distributions or distros for short, buy they are all still based off of the linux kernal.

To more accurately answer your question:

I have not studied for the linux+, but rather the lpi series of certifications. To study for the lpi you need either a debian or redhat based distro to play with. With the popularity of redhat im sure that it is probably sufficient for your linux+ studies.

Centos btw is the free version of redhats enterprise distro so you should be good to go. To get a better idea always check the vendors website and see what they suggest (www.comptia.org).
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Not to be obnoxious but solely because someone will call you out on it some day:

Linux is the operating system and all the different versions like debian, redhat, suse, etc are called distributions or distros for short, buy they are all still based off of the linux kernal.

I have not studied for the linux+, but rather the lpi series of certifications. To study for the lpi you need either a debian or redhat based distro to play with. With the popularity of redhat im sure that it is probably sufficient for your linux+ studies.

Centos btw is the free version of redhats enterprise distro so you should be good to go. To get a better idea always check the vendors website and see what they suggest (www.comptia.org).

actually linux is not the operating system, it is just the kernel... sorry had to :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice and informations. I guess i'll stick with centOS and start the download and let it run at night. Again, thank you.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stick with CentOS. I am a Gentoo person myself, but the test does seem to be biased towards Red Hat (I started with that back in the day anyways). Main thing I hated was knowing where they said the config files were after I had gotten used to the way Gentoo lays out the file structure.

My advice for it would be install it in VMWare and then learn your switches for all the commands. Switches and where certain config files are I thought was the most annoying part of the test.

I had only studied two days for it and passed the first time, but had been using linux for years before that. Then again when I was 3/4 of the way through the test I thought I failed BAD and was quite shocked when I passed with a decent score.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote:

actually linux is not the operating system, it is just the kernel... sorry had to :)

I can see the arguement going both ways. I do however see most people consider all the different flavors of linux distros rather than seperate operating systems.

Distros are basically the linux kernal and whatever else they group with it.
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Main thing I hated was knowing where they said the config files were after I had gotten used to the way Gentoo lays out the file structure
    Agree. The test assumes a RH style file structure, unless they specifically point out a different distibution.
    So CentOS should serve you fine for the exam
  • Options
    ya i'm sticking with centOS, managed to finish the downloads last night and just got it installed on vmware. Gonna try to mess around with it. Everything seems to work except for the sound, not sure if its centOS issue or vmware issue.
  • Options
    **** wrote:
    ya i'm sticking with centOS, managed to finish the downloads last night and just got it installed on vmware. Gonna try to mess around with it. Everything seems to work except for the sound, not sure if its centOS issue or vmware issue.
    Double check your VMware settings:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/592529
    http://communities.vmware.com/message/636435
  • Options
    Thank you for the links. It is working now :P .
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote:

and actually RedHat does not have any free version of its enterprise version, it has RHEL sources available for free, so CentOS and other RHEL clones are only remastered from RHEL sources
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    marco71 wrote:
    leefdaddy wrote:

and actually RedHat does not have any free version of its enterprise version, it has RHEL sources available for free, so CentOS and other RHEL clones are only remastered from RHEL sources

Old school versions of Red Hat are still available and free.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    the old RH versions up to 9.0 are obsolete and not enterprise-like version (somewhat incompatible with enterprise branch)
  • Options
    vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Fedora7 and Ubuntu.
    I recommend Fedora6 or Centos (will cover Redhat distros) and use Ubuntu to get your debian outlook. If your from the Windows world like am/was study hard.
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • Options
    marco71 wrote:
    leefdaddy wrote:

Yes sir you are correct. Centos was not created nor is it maintained or distributed by redhat.

CentOS-5

CentOS-5 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS

Before building the OS, non-free packages are altered. Non-free packages would include those encumbered with a non-redistributable copyright or trademark.

So its basically the closest free thing to a free version of RH's enterprise software that i know about.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    red hat for desktop
    i like slackware

backtrack is my favorite custom build
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    are there any linux kernel out there that fits on a 2gig hard drive?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    **** wrote:
    are there any linux kernel out there that fits on a 2gig hard drive?
    you mean linux distro ... because linux kernel normally fits on 1-4 MB:
    du -h /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL
    1.5M    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL

many distros have the 'minimal install' or a 'custom install' option, so you can customize it during and after installation; depends on the purpose (desktop or server), you can customize graphical desktop, X-server is modular now and many lightweight desktop-environments are available (icewm, blackbox, fluxbox, xfce), or you can completely remove X (if use linux for a server)