Options

Frame Relay Switch ?

ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone !

Thanks for your support I have been getting from time to time. I have got an other question. I have 2950- 24 cisco switch and one 2516 router i am interested to make a home lab. What is the cisco router (cheapest) from either 2800 series or 3600 series, which support both frame Relay and Router on stick configurations ?. Can we make cisco router 2516 as frame relay switch ? because it has got only two serial ports. At last, as for as I know we need two frame relay switches to perform Frame Relay configuration, am I right ?

Cheers

Manglian

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    a 3640 with the right modules will support what you want to do as well as support for the 12.4 ios
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 3600 would be cheaper than the 2800, but make sure it has some modules in it when you buy it.

You do not need two frame switches to do frame relay labs. If you are talking about frame relay endpoints, then you will probably want at least three.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 3600 would be cheaper than the 2800, but make sure it has some modules in it when you buy it.

You do not need two frame switches to do frame relay labs. If you are talking about frame relay endpoints, then you will probably want at least three.

Thanks for your reply , when you say " right modules " or " some module " what do you mean that ?. But can i make 2516 router as Frame Relay switch ?

Thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are going to want a module with some serial interfaces such as an nm-4t to do frame relay.

Not sure about the 2516, never used one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    For what it's worth, I made my Frame Switch out of a 2610 and an NM-4A/S module. Works perfect.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can make a frame switch out a 2516 by using the two serial ports.

You can make a better frame switch with a router that has more than two serial ports.

I originally used my 2501 (2 serials) as a frame switch, but now use a 2520 (four serials).