Please Wish me Luck...

I'll be going on an interview tomorrow for a network engineer position that I may be slightly under-qualified for. Well, maybe not.

I just sent my resume out to a bunch of companies and I was glad enough to get a call from them. Hopefully it's something that could be a good fit for me and for the company. Crossing fingers.
CCIE Wr: In Progress...
Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
Follow my study progress at Route My World!
My CCIE Thread

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You waited for them to call you? Any time you send a resume to a company, follow up with them. It'll show them you're actually interested in them and not just some guy who sends in his resume without even really looking at the company.

Keep in mind, many companies will ask for a ton of stuff from an applicant. Many people will think that they're looking for 1 awesome guy who can do it all. In reality, they know they won't get that. Think of it as more, these are the types of things they want, and are hoping to get a candidate that will be good at what he does and possesses some of the skills listed on the qualifications.

Good luck with the job and let us know how it goes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Hehe! Funny thing about that is that my wife reminded me to call them last week. And it so happened that I was working in the warehouse one day and I thought it was the opportune moment to call them. 5 minutes after that thought my phone was ringing and it was the HR dept setting up an interview with me. Maybe it's a good sign... Just maybe icon_wink.gif

As far as qualifications, I definitely feel that I have a lot of experience I can bring in. But like you said, there are some things that they are asking that Ijust don't have much experience at all with.

Thanks for the well wishes!
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Good Luck with the interview today. I felt the same way when I got a call for a jr. network engineer position but I went in and showed them I was "hungry" and wanting to learn. In just one short agonizing month, they offered me the position and I have been here for 3 months just learning away.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Good luck, keep us updated!
    Dustin Leefers
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hope it goes well, keep us posted :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I post my story in like every thread but what the hell. I thought I was under qualified as well when I applied for a Network Admin position. The job description and the interview were two totally different things. Turns out after the interview I was exactly what they were looking for.

Just walk in there with confidence and give it a shot.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    royal wrote:
    You waited for them to call you? Any time you send a resume to a company, follow up with them. It'll show them you're actually interested in them and not just some guy who sends in his resume without even really looking at the company.

Keep in mind, many companies will ask for a ton of stuff from an applicant. Many people will think that they're looking for 1 awesome guy who can do it all. In reality, they know they won't get that. Think of it as more, these are the types of things they want, and are hoping to get a candidate that will be good at what he does and possesses some of the skills listed on the qualifications.

That's the problem with a number of the recruiting companies around here. The employer sources the job search to the recruiter and gives them the list of things they want in an employee. The recruiter sticks to that list 100%. I got told by one that my resume looked perfect for the job but because I didn't have an MCSE that my resume would not be forwarded on. Another one grilled me on each particular item listed for the job and because I did not have iSCSI experience that she would not forward on my resume. I've noticed that both of these jobs are still being posted almost every day for at least a month since then.

Just a bit of a frustrated rant, that's all.

Good luck with your interview! Go in and wow them with what you have. Personality is a winner.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    royal wrote:

That's the problem with a number of the recruiting companies around here. The employer sources the job search to the recruiter and gives them the list of things they want in an employee. The recruiter sticks to that list 100%. I got told by one that my resume looked perfect for the job but because I didn't have an MCSE that my resume would not be forwarded on. Another one grilled me on each particular item listed for the job and because I did not have iSCSI experience that she would not forward on my resume. I've noticed that both of these jobs are still being posted almost every day for at least a month since then.

Just a bit of a frustrated rant, that's all.

Good luck with your interview! Go in and wow them with what you have. Personality is a winner.

lame and lame...Id call them back to see if the job is still open undomiel :D either to rub it in thier face or who knows they might give you the job.

to the OP, good luck and hope all goes well!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • certifymecertifyme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    snadam wrote:
    lame and lame...Id call them back to see if the job is still open undomiel :D either to rub it in thier face or who knows they might give you the job.

to the OP, good luck and hope all goes well!

If I knew what the direct company was I'd just bypass the recruiter but no dice there. So I'll just ignore them and laugh every month I still see their job ad getting posted.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats a Fake Ad, a lot of hiring companies like RH post and ad that attract (sometimes a helpdesk basic skills 30$/h) and when u contact them always they find something missing in your resume simply because its a fake ad to attract pple and collect resumes go to dice and choose a hiring company and do a search++>> same ads every week for months and if u apply no one call u and if u go there and contact them again and again u find out that u are not qualified because u dont have the 5y experience, the BS and the MCSE CCNA CEH to be the king of help desks
    MCSA, A+
  • jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! Let us know how it goes. If you get the job, Friday is right around the corner so drinking yourself silly in celebration is acceptable. If ya don't get the job, we'll all pool all of our 133t skillz and bring that corporation to its knees! OK, maybe we won't do that, but we will bad mouth them at every chance we get and wish horrible things upon their corporate logo.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    I post my story in like every thread but what the hell. I thought I was under qualified as well when I applied for a Network Admin position. The job description and the interview were two totally different things. Turns out after the interview I was exactly what they were looking for.

Just walk in there with confidence and give it a shot.

well sweet! hopefully it all works out!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security