configuring cisco 1924 switch as a tftp server

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
Ive been trying to get the OS from one of my 1924 swith's to the other, but it seems i cannot figure out (for the life of me) how to make the original one a tftp server. If anyone has any idea, i would greatly appreciate it..
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    As I have no experience with upgrading switches, I would have to take a guess and say you would probably need to copy the IOS from one switch to the TFTP server (your pc) and then on the other switch pull it from the tftp server.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    by what ive read, it says you can do switch to switch transfer, but cant seem to get it going.. hmm.. Also i was able to transfer a config from that switch, but not a ios.. (to pc)
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I know that with the latest catalyst IOS (9) it is possible but if you are running an older version ie 8.9 etc then its the good old fashioned way Im affraid, there are plenty of free TFTP servers out there. As for transferring config cisco config maker is the best program for doing this.

Edited
    Click here for more info
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
    so what command would you use to extract the ios from the one i want to transfer from?

i/e copy ???? tftp://192.168.55.3/v90.00.04
    i actually had this page down, but it seems i still cant get the switch to transfer the os from one to the other, i have them connected via the 100 mb ethernet ports and they see each other and both are configured, I/e ip address and mask, but when i use the web configuration, and via telnet or console, i use the menu's to try to download from one switch to the other, but it does nothing. So what i figured was it was a way for cisco to stop piracy, you can upload to a switch but cant download.. So you would have to own a legal copy. I can copy the configuration file to my tftp server, but i just cant find the command to copy the whole ios. I tried the copy flash, that did nothing.