Options

At what age did you start getting certified?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my first cert in February it was Network+ and then I decided to go for A+ and got that a few months later. Oh and I'm 17.
  • Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My first cert was A+ when I was 20. (A year ago.)
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    I got my first certification which is the CCNA on july 7th 2008.. And i am 15. sophmore in high school, (will be a junior)

i am currently studying for my security + which i am going to sit my exam sometime around september or so..

then after the security + i will be doing my CCNP.

Afert the BSCI, and BCMSN, i will study for 70-270 exam.. then continue on with the other 2 ccnp tracks.

hopefully in 2 years, before i graduate high school, i would like to have a CCNA, CCNP, Security +, MCP, MCSA (only micsrosoft i will prolly get. i am a cisco guy), and my CCNA Security.

hopefully this will plant me a good job, so i can show off my skills, and get some experience.
    i hve been tryin to get internships, but it is hard becuase of my age. so i just decided to rack up on my certs and knowlegde, and hopefully get to get some experience when i graduate.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first cert was my MCP at age 23. I just turned 25 a few weeks ago.

I started at my Jr college in CIS in 2003; and easily could have attained some certs along the way. That's what I get for slacking...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started out with ITIL Foundation in December of '07 or Jan. of this year at the age of 26. Next, I got my A+ (602) in January. I had tried previously in Sept. of '07 to get Security+, but I had a bad study guide so I failed it. Not by much, but enough to fail.

I took it again a second time in May (failed.. poor study guide, once again.. both times they were outdated) and then finally, I passed early this month on the 5th. My next exam is Net+, then off to CCENT/CCNA or MCSA:2003.

I'm 26, but I wish I had started earlier. I had thought that I would enjoy the field I was in, but I decided later that it wasn't for me. It's NEVER too late to start getting certified. I think it was JDMurray who got his first A+ cert at 40.

Also, I'm finishing my B.S. in Information Assurance. I was in the Navy so I kind of late in finishing it up.
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    RickQRickQ Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my first Cert in February of this year at age 31

I passed my A+ 603, then my N+ on 7/10.

I have lost count of the number of times I started studying for my A+ then had to stop because work or life got in the way. When I picked the books back up I was back to square 1 again.

I have been working in IT since around 2000 but I just never got around to getting the certs to backup my knowledge and experience.
    Working on: Security+
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Off-topic might have been slightly more appropriate, but it's not like you put it in the Java Dev forum ;)
    I think General Certification would have been the right forum for this one.

Let's see, I took A+ when I was 22, then Security+ when I was 23. After that, it's all kind of a blur. I don't count my age in years, so much as "revolutions around the sun left until I die".

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    2005 I think. I got A+ just for fun.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    A+ when I was 16.
  • Options
    candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a few MOUS (they're called something else now) certifications when I was 16. (I got the vouchers for free, might as well.) Word & Excel 2000. Haha, that makes me feel old... I got my A+ last year at the ripe age of 19. I just obtained my CIW v5 Foundations. But I'm lucky to have been working in IT since straight out of high school. Living in the Seattle-area has made it easier for me to find IT related jobs. (Insert name of big airplane company) has laid me off twice in a row, so I'm trying to bounce back. icon_confused.gif
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my A+ in 1998 and I was 35 at the time. Dang I'm old! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started at 19 with A+ and then my CCNA at 21. Since I have fallen in love with Cisco and I plan to have CCNP before I turn 23.
  • Options
    LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    I start at 17 with my MCP. I was wondering if thats young or not, and I did see the 14yr old thats net+ certified, when I was 14 I didnt even know about certs @_@

also if any mods see this if its in the wrong thread could you move thx.

LOL you are worried about 14 years olds? (gosh I really feel old now icon_wink.gif ). I started in IT when I was in my late 20s. Was working as a secretary before and hated it so decided on a career change and it worked out very well icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    First computer was a Packard Bell as well...anyone remember Dosshell and Prodigy? I didn't even have Windows back then :D .

Anyway, I got my first cert, which was A+, at age 23, which was right after I graduated college. I started out in software engineering due to my degree (good money), but then I found out what field I enjoyed most. Started over, and still working to surpass the pay level I had out of school icon_lol.gif ...getting close though.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too started at 17.

Though I have taken my sweet time to do just 2 microsoft exams (70-270 and the 70-290).

I am wanting to get my MCSE out of the way by next april, which is about the time I turn 21.

So yeah, time to knuckle down hey! icon_cool.gif
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    JDMurray wrote:
    I got my first cert, A+, at 40.

(Unless you want to count MIL-STD-454J as an IT certification, which I got at 22.) ;)
    Thanks JDMurray, I thought I was going to be the oldest! Got my A+ in 2006 at the age of 38.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    18 with A+ then took Network+ a week later. Now MCP and almost MCSA after 291. I'm just taking my time, especially for 291 but not too long to the point where I forget my material. icon_confused.gif