Options

MGS4 - Who's playing it?

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Since there was a thread about GTA4, I figured I would create one for MGS4. I just picked up my copy today and will be skipping the housework tonight :)

Finally a game PS3 owners can be proud of, from the looks of it.
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I havent even completed gta4 yet and im playing Age of conan on PC currently. Too many games/films to watch, so little time when mixed in with other stuff.

Let us know if its good!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks solid: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots

93/100 thus far for reviews and 9.0/10 for user reviews.

This seems interesting:
    1up wrote:
    The MGS4 conundrum is this: The further you play into the game, the less you actually play. Surrendering so much control to make way for movie sequences is galling, especially when the dialogue makes such a big deal about freedom and free will...Despite this gradual decay, though, MGS4 is absolutely a great game. The second half may lack sorely in comparison to the innovative, immersive brilliance of the first, but only because those early portions reach such inspiring heights.

I typically play games for the story anyway. I feel like some drag out game play through boring, repetitive tasks. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I was going to pick up a PS3 for this, but I might be getting squeeze out of this job in the next couple of months, so I'm going to be a little conservative and responsible (for once). I don't know if I could muster up the necessary strength to abstain from a Final Fantasy game though :D

Enjoy your game and let us know what you think!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Looks solid:

not just solid, Metal Gear Solid :Dicon_rolleyes.gif

i LOVE the metal gear series. I will be picking up a ps3 just for this game. Finally a good reason to shell out some dough for a PS3.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:

it has crossed my mind. However, I was going to get the 40GB model. Since I own a twice used new generation PS2 for backward compatibility, and the hard disks swappable (right?); i figured I save some money. I cant remember ALL the differences between the 40 and 80GB models.

If not, then yea Ill go for the bundle!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    Let's assume the bundle comes with a 40GB PS3 instead. You still get MGS4 and a Dual Shock 3. That alone makes the bundle worth it:

40GB PS3 ($400) + MGS4 ($60) + Dualshock 3 controller ($55) = $515.

But in actuality you get an extra 40GB and backward compatibility. I would trade in the PS2 or sell it on eBay.
  • Options
    It looks like they only have other sellers available at this point, and the cheapest is $638 icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Let's assume the bundle comes with a 40GB PS3 instead. You still get MGS4 and a Dual Shock 3. That alone makes the bundle worth it:

40GB PS3 ($400) + MGS4 ($60) + Dualshock 3 controller ($55) = $515.

But in actuality you get an extra 40GB and backward compatibility. I would trade in the PS2 or sell it on eBay.

very true, but the hard disk is strictly storage right? and swappable might I think. So I could theoretically throw in a 500GB drive for about the price difference for the 80GB bundle, correct?

to be honest, I have to sit down and work the numbers, then the wife for approval :P

• Options
    snadam wrote:
    to be honest, I have to sit down and work the numbers, then the wife for approval :P

Try this technique (just swap the HD-DVD player for a PS3): http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/4/19/
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    I have mine at my desk right now, I have to work until 8 before I get the gaming goodness!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Played it for 5 hours yesterday and love it so far! I've only completed the first act but the gameplay and story are both great. I loved the part where you are in a dilapidated building and you need to escape while fighting off Liquid's elite soldiers....I was able to really practice headshots using the 1st person view :)
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Incredible game I have just got past the section where you meet the arms dealer everything about this game is jaw dropping the graphics , the gameplay you actually feel like your at war it's brilliant!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    meh, too busy playing God of war and Crisis core on my brand new PSP. :)
    Bought it with Daxter and recently purchased Brave story. Thinking of picking up Silent hill: origins.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680