Quick Question on DHCP

mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best practice when configuring DHCP? Basically if you wanted to set up a Vigor router with a static IP, you do the configuring in the web browser of it, but do you set an exclusion for it, or a reservation?

Is there a reason to use one and not the other?

Cheers

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always exclude a block of addresses in my scope for static devices like servers and network equipment
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    gojericho0 wrote:
    I always exclude a block of addresses in my scope for static devices like servers and network equipment

+1
    I do the same. I'll setup up an exclusion range. Let's say you have a 10.0.0.X network. I'd make an exclusion 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.20. Then you have 20 IP address to assign to your servers, switches, printers, print servers, gateway/firewall, Vigro router, ect...

This also helps for troubleshooting too. Because you know what the IP address of your servers, or at least what range they are in.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can also just leave addresses off the pool. i.e. set your pool to be 51-254. Then you can have 50 (or however many) addresses to assign statically. That's what I do. I'm too lazy to use exclusions.

You should also balance your pool between two servers for redundancy. MS recommends 80/20 split, but I believe most people do 60/40 or 50/50.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    You should also balance your pool between two servers for redundancy. MS recommends 80/20 split, but I believe most people do 60/40 or 50/50.

Personally, I use the 100/0 split. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I hardly ever split the range up at my clients. But then again I guess its hard to split it up,if they have only one server.
    gojericho0

+1