Options

Taking Sec+ tomorrow

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Just want to say thanks for all the info you guys have given and questions you've answered. I feel pretty confident and like I have every objective covered pretty well. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I'm done. Thanks for everything!

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go knock it over dood :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    You'll do great, let us know how it goes.
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Options
    Didn't do too great. Failed with a 740. icon_sad.gif

I plan on retaking in two weeks. I don't see the benefit in waiting longer, plus I'm just trying to cram together school, work, and studying. If I wait longer I'm worried that I may forget some of the material.

As I was taking the exam, I felt like I knew the questions and didn't find them that difficult. There were some that were so fuzzy, I don't see how anyone could even decipher what the question was asking. Encountered a few with two, COMPLETELY valid answers.

I've been suing Tcat's full .pdf, as well as the All-In-One book, with PrepLogic practice exams.
    Any suggestions on books/practice exams that would really help on my next attempt, with minimal cost of course.

Blah.
  • Options
    On another note, I'm really disappointed having failed this exam. I felt ready to take it and feel like it's my own fault having not passed. Still a bit confused on what I didn't know however.

Ugh...it's just stomach turning to be so close (740/756 is pretty close in my mind) and have to spend all that money again just to retake.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    On another note, I'm really disappointed having failed this exam. I felt ready to take it and feel like it's my own fault having not passed. Still a bit confused on what I didn't know however.

Ugh...it's just stomach turning to be so close (740/756 is pretty close in my mind) and have to spend all that money again just to retake.

Hence the reason i am slowly becoming an advocate to discourage people from taking this test.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Easy DUDE! Failing is part of learning. From what i've read, these exam seem's like one real "SOB". But either way i aint intimidated just yet, unless they come up with a similar exam. Its when your hardest hit that you should'nt give up. Sec+ ya next icon_evil.gif!!!!!!
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    pandimus: The exam isn't a bad exam in concept. It's a good entry level exam which teaches a broad range of subjects. Really good to break into the security field. I think that the exam is one of the more worthwhile ones, assuming you learn the material.
    It's just the score required to pass (84%, give me a break!) coupled with the question ambiguity and multiple right answers on questions, makes it less worthwhile to pursue. The cost is killing me. I can't afford to fail again.
    I need some serious study advice! Come on fellas, don't let me down. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't wrote yet myself but I hear the Boson #3 practice tests may be good. They are a lot cheaper than the Transcender too!

Seek
  • Options
    I've already spent a ton on this exam and want to avoid spending more if I can.

$40 for Tcat's book.
    $30 or so for the All-In-One book.
    $50 for PrepLogic practice exams
    $320 on two vouchers. (Already got my second one and just waiting to schedule)
    $6 on the Security+ for Dummies book (Saw a post where someone passed using it, thought I could give it a quick read at only 300 pages.)

Needless to say that the cost is starting to outweigh the benefits of even having the cert...

Plan on re-reading what I've got and searching for what I don't know. I wasn't that far from passing, so I know I've got a decent grasp on what they want.
  • Options
    seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can always do a bunch of exam demos..Trans/Boson..some others out there.

Only 10-15 questions each but if you don't ace them 100% I would hold off writing for now..IMHO.

Seek
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Also try the following free special we are able to offer from ExamForce:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.examforce.com/customer/special5.php?sid=628

and in case you didn't notice our Sec+ TechNotes yet:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/co_securityplus.shtml

and did you try the free Security+ video from www.cbtnuggets.com ?

Perhaps RussS can suggest some free material.

Good luck on your next try!
  • Options
    I reviewed the TechNotes a few times. I only wish they covered the entire test, as your Net+ TechNotes helped me tremendously on that exam.
    Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll definately try them out. I'm looking for anything I can get my hands on, which is what I should have done in the first place. I have to admit that although I was prepared for the question format, I still took the exam somewhat lightly and I just can't convince myself it was the question format that got me. Sure, there were some poorly worded questions, but I blame most of it on my lack of reviewing EVERY source I could in preparation. Anyway...thanks a lot and keep any advice coming. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I reviewed the TechNotes a few times. I only wish they covered the entire test, as your Net+ TechNotes helped me tremendously on that exam.
    Thanks, so do I :) I'm currently working on 4 different sec+ technotes (Attacks, Non-essential services, Malicious code, and Remote Access Technologies.) But when those are done I'd still have only about 40% covered. Writing the Network+ notes was much easier for me, although I do have experience and/or knowledge of most of the Sec+ topics, I still have to do a lot of research to tripplecheck the facts. The main problem is that not only CompTIA is opinionated about certain security related topics. Lots of websites that seem reputable, as well as sec+ books (ie. the Sybex guide) are filled with absolute nonsense.

I haven't taken the exam yet, (I planned it for last week but the new server for the website is taking up my time) but I think many will agree that the best source to prepare for this exam is www.google.com
  • Options
    I came across some things on the exam that were not in ANY resource I used. How one is supposed to know these items is beyond me. Other than that, I still feel like I have a good grasp on the material. It could be a bit better (obviously), but I'm confident that next time will be different. I hope so at least.
  • Options
    My condolences dood - I know that gut wrenching feeling well.

Your comment about two completely valid answers just may be the telling difference between that pass/fail mark. The other things that interests me is your comment about having questions on things you have not seen in any of your study resources is also a problem with this exam. I searched many different resource materials and could not find some things at all.
    My thoughts on this is that when Comptia disqualified the established technical authors from being on the advisory panel for developing the questions, they screwed the pooch totally. I think that many of the questions, while vaugely within the objectives are on subjects that the highly qualified technical authors consider outside the scope of the exam.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    The question I'm referring to is one on SQL Database Security. Nowhere to be found in any material I've reviewed...
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    SQL Database Security..

icon_eek.gif do they have SQL Sever Security in Sec+ as well....
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    LostInSpace,

Know that you were counting on it. Now you know and it won't happen again.
    Still a bit confused on what I didn't know however.

It appears from your posts that your confusion is rapidly dissipating.

Best of luck!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    WilliamJWilliamJ Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I am looking to expand my skill set (and opportunities). Currently, I am an IT consultant who deals around the (Oracle) database layer of projects. I have been with IT for many years (i.e., ten years on the software side and a couple on the hardware side prior to that). I plan to take the Security+ examination this year. On a few previous projects, I have touched the outskirts of the security agenda. When I got this idea about Security+ last month, I took a few demo tests and scored around 70%. I know, demos are normally much easier than the real deal; in addition, this test has an 83% cutoff.

What study materials do you recommend? I have seen a ton on the Internet but buying all of them would cost a fortune. I have already purchased Tcat's unabridged PDfs. Any advice on the key ones to look at. I mean ones that have brought luck to others. I am in the process of reading the other threads here, which will probably help answer some of my questions about the better study resources.

William :)
  • Options
    As you will see in many other posts, it appears that the Sybex book is reasonable, but like most others tends to have areas it is light in. I expect that when 2nd editions are rolled out this will be less of an issue now that the authors have a better idea on how Comptia has messed this exam up.
    The CBT Nuggets are very good for this particular exam and Boson #3 seens to be a good practice test. With such a high pass mark needed I recommend around 95% on the quizzers, and make sure that you are not just memorising the answers.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    I've read only the Sybex book, so I can't compare it to others, but if the Sybex book is considered reasonable, other books must be horrible. ;) Besides the fact there are several errors in it, it is far from complete, and it is very dry. It is obvious that the authors don't always know what they're talking about, but a little more research would have made it a much better book. I've read dozens of cert books and this is the very first book that actually started to irritate me. Some pages cover the exact same topic up to 5 or 6 times, worded slightly differently.

I don't recommend this book to anyone, it is definitely not the quality I'm used of Sybex books, but I do agree that a second edition may be much better. I received a copy of the book from Sybex to review, but else I'd say I wasted money on that one. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    heh heh heh - actually, I thought the Syngress one was much worse.
    Tcats free pdf was a mission to read as it was a rough draft of a work in progress, but the paid one (version 3 & later) is not bad at all.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Tcat's full pdf/book is excellent. There are things in the book that appear almost as is on the exam. The exam does contain a lot that isn't covered in even Tcat's book. I was hit with one question on SQL Database Security, types of viruses that weren't covered in any books I read, protocols that certain attacks use, as well as TYPES of scans, which weren't covered in any of my material.
    I would ask for the answers but I don't want to post questions from the exam on the board. Google...here I come. :D