Options

WHAT TO BUY???

SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
I want to spend about $300 dollars... To get a really good router for my house. Since im studing for the CCNA i want to get a router to study and to use it in my house.. Right now i have 2 2501 2 2503 1 2521 and 2 1912 in a litle lab in my house im using it to study for the CCNA but on of the topics is SDM which my old routers dont support it.

My question is should i go ahead and get a 2620XM full memory upgraded or should i buy one of the new 850 routers????

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 800 series are great little SOHO routers and good for study, but if you want more options as far as modules I'd go with the 2600xm.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    but since is going to be for my house do i really need to mess with modules???
    the only thing is that the 851 can go just to 64MB and the 2620MX to 128 dont know i it actually matters...
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    I want to spend about $300 dollars... To get a really good router for my house. Since im studing for the CCNA i want to get a router to study and to use it in my house.. Right now i have 2 2501 2 2503 1 2521 and 2 1912 in a litle lab in my house im using it to study for the CCNA but on of the topics is SDM which my old routers dont support it.

My question is should i go ahead and get a 2620XM full memory upgraded or should i buy one of the new 850 routers????

Hi,

I'll go for a 1760 router, it supports everything for your CCNA studies and a very good router for your DSL or Cable internet service, you can get one off ebay for less that $100 bucks, i bought one last week with 64/32 memory for less than $80 shipping included, you can upgrade memory up to 160/64 and run easily 12.5 code in the future, also it supports SDM, the only thing is that only comes with one FastEthernet port but you can add one wic-1dsl card for DSL or one wic-1enet card for Cable, also with the right module it supports voice (up to 2 vic cards).

With the 2600xm models you can go up to 256/48 of memory.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    i can buy a 2620xm for about $150 with WIC-2AM 128MB DRAM 32MB
    is the 1760 better??? i can buy the 851 for about 250 brand new...
  • Options
    i can buy a 2620xm for about $150 with WIC-2AM 128MB DRAM 32MB
    is the 1760 better??? i can buy the 851 for about 250 brand new...

Hi,

The wic-2am is useless for what you want (CCNA studies or home router), i can't say that the 1760 is better router but is cheaper than the 2620xm and the 851 and you have some money left to buy a 2950 switch (1912 is useless for CCNA and up) that is necesary for your studies.

• Options
    which wic do i need?
  • Options
    which wic do i need?

For what?, what are you planning to do with it?, for home router you only need one wic-1enet card (internet conection), you can do trunking (with the switch) using the FE port and connect all your host on it, you also will need to setup DHCP, NAT, and intervlan routing if you planning to have more than one vlan (different networks) for the hosts (you can do all of this using SDM or CLI), you already have some 2500 routers to do the rest.

Also you can google the differents options (router) you mentioned before and get more info, do a little research first before buy any router but for the CCNA and the budget you have i'll go for the 1760 and one 2950 switch.

Do you have a DSL or Cable at home?

• Options
    i have a cable router.. So i need to buy a wic-1enet ???

i got the 2620xm so which wic i need
  • Options
    i have a cable router.. So i need to buy a wic-1enet ???

i got the 2620xm so which wic i need

Yes, that should works, Cable Modem-->2620XM-->2950-->Hosts.

Hope this Help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    thanks =) but all the wic-1enet i see are just for the 1700 are they the same??? or does the 2620xm uses a different one

btw: Que bola acere =)
  • Options
    thanks =) but all the wic-1enet i see are just for the 1700 are they the same??? or does the 2620xm uses a different one

btw: Que bola acere =)

No, for the 2600Xm you will need this one: NM-1E, i thought that you asked me for the 1760 router, the wic-1enet only is for the 1700 series routers.

Hey hablas español?, ese acere solo lo decimos en Cuba, eres cubano?.

• Options
    hehe se =) soy de camaguey y vivo en florida en usa tu??
  • Options
    hehe se =) soy de camaguey y vivo en florida en usa tu??

Soy de la Habana y vivo en Canada, mejor mandame un pm para no hablar aqui en el foro.

Saludos. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    that NM-1E is 10baseT right??? just 10Mb/s is there a way to get 100?
  • Options
    that NM-1E is 10baseT right??? just 10Mb/s is there a way to get 100?

No, the 2620XM only support NM-1E and NM-4E.

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is that's what's "officially" supported?

I have a 1FE-TX in my 2613, which is 100mb/sec.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    True, but you can't really push 100Mb/sec through it.
  • Options
    so going back to may question the 2620mx doesnt support 100mbs when the 851 does?? so the 851 will be better for a home???

Also dynamik mentioned 1FE-TX does this work with the 2620mx?? if it doesnt quite support 100mb it will be fine for my since i have a 20mb connection correct???
  • Options
    So i can do something like this:

Cable Modem > Cisco NM-1FE-TX and
    From the interagted ethernet to 2950 switch
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Is that's what's "officially" supported?

I have a 1FE-TX in my 2613, which is 100mb/sec.

By Cisco, the only 2600 series router that support FE module including the XM series is the 2691 that support NM-1FE-FX and NM-1FE-FX-V2, also cisco said that the 2600 series do not run 12.4 IOS and they do, go figure icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    elegua wrote:
    cisco said that the 2600 series do not run 12.4 IOS and they do, go figure icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif
    They will actually run 12.4 but you'll be severely low in memory and it may crash due to this so they don't officially support it. The 2600XM is basically a higher spec version of a 2600.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy a 2621/2621XM if you want two 10/100 ethernet ports. Get the XM version if you want 12.4.
  • Options
    so with the 2621XM i wont have any problem at all???

Cable Modem to FE0/0
    FE0/1 to 2950 switch

right???

thanks all of you guys for the help =)
  • Options
    so with the 2621XM i wont have any problem at all???

Cable Modem to FE0/0
    FE0/1 to 2950 switch

right???

thanks all of you guys for the help =)

No, with the 2621XM you don't need an extra FE port.

Hope this Help. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I saw in another forums that this 2621XM wont support my speed needs (20mbs)
    ibarrere wrote:
    The fastest they can push traffic is 30Kpps. At 64 bytes per packet, that results in 15.36Mbps. The pps count will remain the same, you will achieve different throughput in Mbps depending on the size of the packets traversing the router. With a consistent stream of 250 byte packets, that rounds out to 60Mbps. But also, as tomstorey said, once you start using features aside from raw routing, the performance will diminish substantially.

is there a way to make this router be able to hit my speed needs?
  • Options
    I saw in another forums that this 2621XM wont support my speed needs (20mbs)
    ibarrere wrote:
    The fastest they can push traffic is 30Kpps. At 64 bytes per packet, that results in 15.36Mbps. The pps count will remain the same, you will achieve different throughput in Mbps depending on the size of the packets traversing the router. With a consistent stream of 250 byte packets, that rounds out to 60Mbps. But also, as tomstorey said, once you start using features aside from raw routing, the performance will diminish substantially.

is there a way to make this router be able to hit my speed needs?

Hi,

To handle that speed (20Mbps) you will need a 2691 or 1841 router, they can do 70kpps (2691) and 75kpps (1841) around 35Mbps and both have 2FE ports, between those two i prefer the 1841.

• Options
    so if it is not going to support at least 20mbs i guess i just lost $250