Options

just got a call about a VOIP job there is 1 problem(UPDATE)

empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
I have no voip experince. HR and the hiring manager both know this, but I'm wondering what to do before the interview. Should I enforce my OSPF/EIGRP and basic networking knolowdge to show that I know these skills like my backhand, or should I buy a basic voip book, and try to get a basic understanding?

I got the job, they called me with a offer today and I have until next week to decide. I took the wiz quiz today. I have another offer pending, but this job wants us to go as high up the cisco food chain as we can. They are gonna pay for the rest of my CCNP test, Pay for CCVP, and if I want CCIE VOICE and they already have a lab for us to use for the IE level studies and are working on a CCNP/CCVP lab. I think that there objectives and mine match up, so I'm going to take a strong look at this job. Oh yeah the pay not bad either for having no voice experience.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do both ! :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you are in a good situation. You are going for a VOIP job and since they know you have no VOIP experience, you have a great opportunity to make yourself shine and show you have a big desire to learn. Go get a VOIP intro book and ready as much as possible online and on the internet. Explain to them during the interview that you have a passion and have been trying to pick up as much knowledge you can because you want to ensure you provide the company with another quality employee that will work hard for them.

Take advantage of the situation. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    re-enforce what you already know during the interview but still lookup some voip terms and the basic stuff regarding voip to show them that even though you have no experience with voip, you will be willing to learn
  • Options
    I just went and bought VOIP over IP 1st step. I had to buy it at barnes and nobel icon_sad.gif instead of amazon :D . As high as gas is I try to save every penny I can these days. Hopefully reading this book will have me ready by friday to have a basic knolowdge and be able to ask questions about the type of setup they use, so I can show intrest.
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    You can also return the book when your done with it. I think theres a 30 day return policy. I have done it before. :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't worry about it if they already know you don't have VoIP experience. Mine was rather limited when I landed the job I have now which is strictly VoIP. They were impressed with my networking knowledge and thought I was very trainable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    empc4000xl wrote:
    I have no voip experince. HR and the hiring manager both know this, but I'm wondering what to do before the interview. Should I enforce my OSPF/EIGRP and basic networking knolowdge to show that I know these skills like my backhand, or should I buy a basic voip book, and try to get a basic understanding?

Could be worse! At least you don't think VOIP refers the the father of Angelina Jolie!

Good luck.
  • Options
    empc4000xl wrote:

How did you get on with the interview etc?

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make shure you ask what their expectations are going to be and what they are going to do to get you the knowledge skills and abilities that will be required to perform the job. Nothing like the feeling knowing you just crashed somone's voicemail system because you didn't know what you are doing.

I have a customer who forced their admin to put an acl entry on a firewall.... he knew nothing about firewalls but did it anyhow because they told him to add the line. he didn't know that an acl ends with an implicit deny and since there was no existing acl, when he put in a single permit statement in. Well noone but the one host had Internet access, but he had gone home for the day. They fired him for doing what they told him to do beause he didn't know any better.

in the worrds of Lawerence, "Watch your cornhole, dude"
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    nel wrote:
    empc4000xl wrote:

How did you get on with the interview etc?

They only asked me a few basic questions. They asked about basic T/S, how I handled documentation and working in groups and teams. They also asked would I be willing to take a test for certs every 2 months. Most people they hire already have CCNA and get CCVP, but since I'm preping to take my BSCI next month if hired, I would be able to finish the track and move onto CCVP. They were more concerned about my customer service handling skills, and they were impressed that I use to do the tomahawk thing on ships so they know I can work in stressfull enviorments. So before I was able to write up the thank you letter I they wanted a 3rd interview with me in person :D . So when thats complete I will give another update.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck on the next interview!

My military experience has always been something that has helped me in interviews. All my experience in military boards has helped with my interview skills as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dan87951 wrote:
    You can also return the book when your done with it. I think theres a 30 day return policy. I have done it before. :D

They changed the return policy to 14 days. Buying a book a returning it used to be a hobby of mine LOL. Damn Barnes and Noble 2 weeks is just not enough.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    Make shure you ask what their expectations are going to be and what they are going to do to get you the knowledge skills and abilities that will be required to perform the job. Nothing like the feeling knowing you just crashed somone's voicemail system because you didn't know what you are doing.

I asked about the training pipeline. 1st I would be doing things I already know how to do like T/S customers routers when they called about loosing connectivity. Like making sure I could ping there router, check the firewalls, check running configs. If it was a voice issue I would pass it on to a guy next to me and continue to listen in to the call. In about 6 month I would be expected to start taking my own calls and handling issues at the tier 1 level. By the end of 18 months I should be at the tier 2 level and have my CCVP. From there You make a decision do you want to move into a design role, or advanced T/S role where u are dealing with cisco. Either way both require you to start working on your CCIE Voice and this company has a time line for that of a few years. To answer your question you spend 6 months in learn mode, this is how we do things here.
  • Options
    I got my interview tomorrow morning. I"m in ATL right now getting ready to head to Minneapolis. I don;t know what to expect, but hopefully I win them over. They paid to fly me out from VA, so hopefully I'm what they are looking for. I'll chme in on how well everything goes tomorrow, but I'm hoping this will be some sort of offer, this is my 3rd interview.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck tomorrow then, is this the first "in-person" interview with them?
  • Options
    oh yeah I forgot to add that they seemed like a cool group of people to work with :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So what's the word? Any offer yet? Or did they keep you all last week and put you to work?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I got the job, they called me with a offer today and I have until next week to decide. I took the wiz quiz today. I have another offer pending, but this job wants us to go as high up the cisco food chain as we can. They are gonna pay for the rest of my CCNP test, Pay for CCVP, and if I want CCIE VOICE and they already have a lab for us to use for the IE level studies and are working on a CCNP/CCVP lab. I think that there objectives and mine match up, so I'm going to take a strong look at this job. Oh yeah the pay not bad either for having no voice experience.

I posted this at the top, but I guess we normally do go straight to the bottom
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Alright! congratulations glad to hear it worked out for you and excellent news on them funding your studies :D:D
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the job sounds like an awesome opportunity for you!!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the new job! July seems to be the month for new jobs for TE members. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dan87951 wrote:

i do that a lot haha
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:

nice! congratulations. This job sounds like it will be a great learning experience.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    empc4000xl wrote:

i would bite there hand off man! sounds like an ideal move! what are you waiting for icon_lol.gif