Options

VMware Workstation and SATA cdrom.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Has anyone gotten a sata cd/dvd rom to work with vmware? It doesnt see my cd image. I tried creating a virtual cd drive as well and pointing the iso image there. I also resorted to pointing the image to my c: drive where the iso image was still without any luck.

Any help would be greatful.

I am running a q6600, 3gb ram, 500gb hard disk, and a 9600GT card. All devices are connected via SATA. I noticed on the advanced tab of the cdrom area it only allows changing settings for scsi and ide.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might have more luck in the Virtualization forum but the SCSI/IDE settings in VMWare don't relate to the hardware on your host PC, it's how it will be mounted inside the VM. I've not tried an SATA CD drive but I can't see why it wouldn't work (the actual hardware type is abstracted by Windows so VMware shouldn't car afaik), definitely the ISO option from the hard drive should work regardless of your real drive type. Check that CD rom is set as the Boot device in the VM BIOS, maybe delete and recreate your VM. Last resort uninstall/reinstall VMWare - disable your firewall while you install if you can, I've had some problems before were some of the services did not register correctly because of it, then when it's install turn it back on and deal with the popups.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You did check the check-box for connected, right?

+1 to everything Ahriakin said.
  • Options
    It was the OS image...

Bummer deal is I dont have another 2003 server cd to practice on now.

I put in a linux disc and it worked right away.

Oh well.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yeah it sounds like the media or the ISO is dud im afraid, you'll have to get hold of another copy, remember thou you can download the free evaluation version from MS to use for 180 days:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Thanks.

I forgot all about that.

I also noticed they have exchange 2007 too.

Perfect!
  • Options
    Hmm... So all versions of linux seem to work just fine. However, when I try any of my windows based cd's it doesnt detect the image... It just skips past it and tries to load from my network adapter.

Any ideas?

I am using Vista Proffesional.