Options

1 Switch..What next?

Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Wanted to ask all the Cisco Masters a question. I have a Cisco Catalyst WS-C2950-24 24 Port 10/100 2950 Switch. I want to make a small home lab to help me with my CCENT/CCNA studies. Could someone please advise on what equipment I need next. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Buy a router at the very least.

It's recommended by many people that 2 routers and two switches are needed to fully understand inter-VLAN routing and STP.

You can get by with 1 router and 1 switch.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you are strapped for cash, 2924s are VERY cheap and are very educational. But you certainly need to get some routers.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Can anybody recommend a good model to go with the current switch I have?
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Blang008 wrote:
    Can anybody recommend a good model to go with the current switch I have?

By at least one more 2950 for the switching labs
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cat3550s are going very cheap now on the internets, because they've been end of lifed by the 3560 switch - however will prove a better asset than a 2950 with it's L3 capabilities useable still for any CCxP study, if your looking towards at.

As for routers, anything that can support RIPv2/OSPF/EIGRP and has fast ethernet ports will be suitable.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    nullrouter wrote:
    Cat3550s are going very cheap now on the internets, because they've been end of lifed by the 3560 switch - however will prove a better asset than a 2950 with it's L3 capabilities useable still for any CCxP study, if your looking towards at.

As for routers, anything that can support RIPv2/OSPF/EIGRP and has fast ethernet ports will be suitable.

3550 switches are going for around $500, if money is no object, purchase one. If money is; you could by 4 more 2950 for the same price.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:
    nullrouter wrote:

3550 switches are going for around $500, if money is no object, purchase one. If money is; you could by 4 more 2950 for the same price.

and 500 is very cheap compared to the previous going price of 2 - 4k If someone is looking at moving beyond the CCNA certification wise, then spending a little extra is worth the return the switch provides.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    My 2 cents worth.

The 2950 is perfect for CCNA and will see you good for plenty of the CCNP curriculum should you wish to go that far.

I'd recommend you go for a router next. A 2600 series will do you fine. Look for one which has at least 1 x WIC1T card. They come with a fixed fast ethernet port. Also make sure the IOS is fairly recent.

As for another switch, ideally i'd go for another 2950 this will help when you come to set up VTP etc. You could also go for a 2924, they are extremely cheap nowadays. There is a slight difference with the IOS commands when you come to set up VLANS and a couple of other bits, but it never does any harm to learn some legacy stuff. (Especially if you work for my employer).

When the budget can stretch, get yourself another router. And if you're feeling especially generous to yourself have a search for a 2522 or the like for your frame relay labs.

Enjoy, and remember as far as the wife is concerned that spawning mountain of kit consuming half the lounge is vital for your future prosperity so that you may keep her in the manner to which she is accustomed. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2600's are going for cheap on ebay. I just picked one up for $30 shipped! 2500's are also cheap, but then you need to get an AUI adapter to get it to talk to your switch. HOWEVER 2500's are non expandable so they have all the interfaces built in. 2600's are expandable, but are oftenstripped of all their goodies before they are sold. So a $30 2600 may end up costing you $100 after you get a serial card and a lan card.
    And yeah, get another switch so you can do Vlan trunking, router on a stick , and other fun junk.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    Ok..so i didnt end up getting that switch. My current purchases are two 2501. I am currently bidding on a 2520 and was then going to look for a decent switch to go with these three routers. I have a little bit of experience with cisco equipment but not a lot. I am sure I could read a couple of books and use a sim and pass, but whats the point of being certified if you havent had a good amount of time actually using the equipment. Any suggestions? Not trying to spend a boat load....
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the 2500's are great. I have a few in my lab. They are old and slow and dont have fast ethernet. But If you get at least one with a 12.x IOS you can TFTP it to your computer (copy flash TFTP). Then TFTP it back to the other 11.x IOS routers (copy tftp flash). this is an easy upgrade. Especialy since you probably cant get it from CISCO.
    But yeah, 2500's and a couple of those 60 pin serial cables and you can do PPP, OSPF, RIP v1 and v2, EIGRP, CDP, etc. I learned a LOT just getting the interfaces on the routers up and talking to each other.
    Ps dont spend a ton on console cables. I laugh when I see them on ebay for $10 plus shipping. I see these on the floor at the end of a datacenter install and they go in the garbage along with the busted cage nuts and stripped rack screws.
    Man I hate cage nuts.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Man I hate cage nuts.
    Lost a few fingers have you? ;)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I was in your shoes I bought a pair of 2950's and a 2621 and set up my home internet connection through all of it. If you're strapped for cash, dynamips will solve your routing protocol multi-router needs.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/