Options

Firefox 3

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
Who is going to be downloading the latest version of firefox today? I am currently running it and really like it.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be downloading it on my home PC this evening
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    i've got it on all my machines.... i really like it also.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Took a bit to access the site this afternoon but I finally got it :D:D
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Whenever it hits the suse repositories. No rush for me, it's my back-up browser.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote:
    Whenever it hits the suse repositories. No rush for me, it's my back-up browser.

That's not good enough! We have to set the world record: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

That's not good enough! We have to set the world record: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord

Not from my support, I'm an Opera user! :)
  • Options
    I'll just download it for you then.

How do you like the new Opera, btw?
  • Options
    The new skin is taking some getting used to but I absolutely love that it now loads the website in the background when asking whether to save a password for you or not. Now you know if it will actually save a working password. A lot of their *nix issues seem to have been worked out as well. The browser feels a bit faster now as well on both Windows & Linux. The new skin is a bit flaky with hordes of tabs open though, that's the only negative I've seen so far.
  • Options
    Don't worry undomiel, I will download it on my comptuers at home for you.

I haven't used Opera in a couple of years. Maybe I should download it as well. But firefox needs to get the record.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Count me in, I just updated my firefox.

On a side note, I have been using firefox for....oh, a few years now. I can not remember ever getting infected. Although, I think I'm A LOT smarter about my surfing habits and other security measures I've implemented than years ago. Firefox just seam so simple and secure. A relatively small download, 30 sec install and bam your up and running. It has my vote.

I think a nice wallpaper would go perfect with your new Firefox 3 purchase.
    http://www.wallpaperbase.com/computer-firefox.shtml
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Just installed it. Liking it so far...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I'm holding off FF3 for a while. I've been hearing too many reports of FF3 breaking Flash when multiple tabs are open, and a lot of popular add-ons are still not FF3 compatible.

Post in this thread if you discover any of your "must have" add-ons will not load or update in FF3.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    I'm holding off FF3 for a while. I've been hearing too many reports of FF3 breaking Flash when multiple tabs are open, and a lot of popular add-ons are still not FF3 compatible.

Post in this thread if you discover any of your "must have" add-ons will not load or update in FF3.

Has no one been using any of the betas/RCs? They've performed better (for me anyway) than v2 for quite awhile now.

I read somewhere that they completely redesigned the plugin API, so any existing plugins are going to have to be modified before they will work with v3. I wish Google was more on the ball; I miss their browser sync plugin.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Has no one been using any of the betas/RCs?
    The Flash player problems have been reported in all of the FF3 RCs.
  • Options
    Ah, that was a general question, sorry. I meant to quote you for the plugins. It just seemed funny that everyone was surprised with v3 today when it's basically the same as it has been for months.
  • Options
    I noticed that IETAB would not work in ff3. I hope they fix that soon, I hate having to swap over to IE when I need it.

Edit

When I upgraded to ff3 at work IETAB wouldn't upgrade. When I upgraded at home(liked 2 min ago) IETAB would upgrade. So it looks like thats fixed.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    No rush for me.

I've attempted to use FF several different times and just don't like it. I may look at it some point later on, but I'm not supporting the new release and have removed all previous copies from my systems.

Still prefer IE and will use Opera from time to time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm in. I think it's much faster.

I wasn't able to get the quicktime plugin to work earlier, but I didn't mess with it for very long because it wasn't very important.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just downloaded the latest version, and TE gets the honor of being the first site I visited using FF. It looks good.
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not too crazy about it. Can't ever completely clear the location bar. You try clearing it completely and it adds more stuff from the bookmarks. I don't have that problem in version 2.0.0.14.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using it since the past few betas and have loved it since I downloaded it. I will no longer be using IE7, even if certain plugins don't work (I know most didn't work in the betas, haven't checked with the full release yet).
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tried some add-ons to fix the location bar problems in Firefox 3 and they just don't work!!! The location bar worked MUCH better in Firefox 2 (2.0.0.14) which is what I am using now!
  • Options
    RD28327 wrote:
    I'm not too crazy about it. Can't ever completely clear the location bar. You try clearing it completely and it adds more stuff from the bookmarks. I don't have that problem in version 2.0.0.14.
    It's trying to complete the URL you are entering based on your bookmarks. You should be able to turn that feature off in the options.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just use IE. I never got on the FF bandwagon, and never plan too.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I find it funny that the servers couldn't handle the constant onslaught of download requests. You'd think they would be prepared for such a disaster since they knew "download day" was coming...
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    I just use IE. I never got on the FF bandwagon, and never plan too.

Too bad. You could have had your very own personalized certificate if you would have participated on the download day. You can still get one, but in your heart, you'll always know that you didn't earn it.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    JDMurray wrote:
    RD28327 wrote:
    It's trying to complete the URL you are entering based on your bookmarks. You should be able to turn that feature off in the options.

Dear god where is this on/off button you speak of? I can't find it anywhere. FF3 isn't remembering any of my sites, it just has all my old bookmarks I never clear out. What a crappy feature.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There isn't an option to do so in the gui. Google says there is a way to go into about:config to turn it off. Why the F would they default it to act like that?

http://www.labnol.org/software/browsers/prevent-firefox-showing-bookmarks-address-location-bar/3636/
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Yeah, I just put FF3 on a new Vista Ultimate computer at work and that search bar completion feature is annoying me too. In about:config it might be one of the auto-complete settings that disables it.
  • Options
    techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get the piclens add-on for ff3. Great,